Help me pick a 1911!

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by nafornow, Aug 20, 2010.

1. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I'm gonna go ahead and guess you're even more confused and not any closer to a decision at this point. Although some people hate them, I've heard great things about the Taurus 1911's. I have a Para LTC that I love and have no complaints about. Bought it new for about $550. Don't know a thing about the MR. I know I'm in the minority here, but I will never own another Kimber. One too many bad experiences for me. The best 1911 I've ever owned has been my Dan Wesson/CZ PM7 in .45. That puppy is accurate ! Yes, the very thin skeletonized hammer broke, but that may have been because my rounds were loaded too hot and they were pounding that hammer. I don't know, but I replaced the hammer and it's back to excellent ! Out of those 3 pistols, I'd probably recommend the Para. Just my two pesos...
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  2. Infidel

Infidel New Member

Guns are the only things that China makes that WON'T kill you!:D:D
  3. fritz

fritz New Member

I have a Smith & Wesson 1911 with the tactical rail, great pistol, most accurate 1911 i have ever owned, spendy but well worth it. My theory with most things in life is you get what you pay for. Every time i have tried to go cheap on something it usually bites me in the butt, and ends up costing me more in the long run. Just my two cents worth.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  4. fritz

fritz New Member

Blackhawk makes a sweet holster for the 1911 with a accessory rail, gun snaps in and wont fall out unless you push the release. Buy American!
  5. fritz

fritz New Member

My Smith came with everything you listed, as far as not being able to get more than $500 out of it, you are in a dream world!
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Quite a few names on the wall were killed by Chinese guns.
  7. Infidel

Infidel New Member

Its sarcasm dude.

To explain, the consumer products they produce today could be considered more dangerous than thier POS guns. That was the reference.

No disrespect to the 54,000 plus that didn't come home. I got more friends that served in nam than served with me in the 80's.

Rolling Thunder, chapter3 MO in the 90's. Patriot guard rider in the 2000's. I'm there man.:cool:
  8. nikole957

nikole957 New Member

One thing that i think needs to be discussed here is the barrels for the different guns. I have a buddie with a springfield 45. It gives him problems with certain types of ammo. He got disgusted and then bought a Kimber. No feed problems. I too purchased a Kimber in 10mm. The ramp on the bbl is made in a way to make it easier for ammo to feed. IMO. That is also what the salesperson told me. I looked at the bbls for various manufacturers and decided to go with the Kimber after I saw the different ramps for myself. I hope I am using the right terms. I agree with Glocknut's statement.
  9. Chickasaw Gator

Chickasaw Gator New Member

I second 911 Man's rec. I recent got a Springfield GI Mil Spec and love it. Though I was advised to use a lighter cal for ccl, i used the .45 and it hit where I wanted-threw 1 shot outsite the target-qualified with flying colors. Have had no problem with jams. Probably too heavy for cc though.
  10. DGG!

DGG! New Member

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  11. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Hey, no offense taken or intended. I thought it was intended to be humorous. I'm not a big fan of Chinese products myself but, though often lacking in cosmetic appeal, they can make some very effective weapons.

Salute to you for Patriot Guard Riders...I'd be with you if I had a ride.
  12. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter New Member

I just hope your uncle and cousin don't fly very much because the turbine blades in that jet engine are MIM. I doubt if there are very many things that have to withstand the stresses created by a fan whirling at many 1000s of rpms over very extended times.

Not only that but if you're a fighter pilot not only does that engine moving you at speeds of Mach 1 or even much more have to stay together in normal level flight while turning at very high speeds it also has to be able to do the same thing while handling the stresses created by high speed maneuvers which can created both high positive and negative G-loads. The fan blades in these turbines are also MIM.
  13. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I have to correct myself here. In an earlier post on this thread, I stated my Springfield "Mil-Spec" was Brazilian/American made. I wrote to Springfield and they said it was ALL US made. My bad.:eek:
    Also, try and find anything not made in China.:rolleyes: Shoes, for example. TJ
  14. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Probably 20 years ago I bought an Auto Ord 1911A1 from a friend and police officer, now deceased, for something like $200. The thing was absolutely out-of-the-box, and wouldnt feed anything but ball. I spent $15 on a Nam-era surplus GI barrel that looked nearly new, gave it to another LE friend of mine, who throated it and polished the feed ramp. From that time on, that thing would feed ANYTHING; and in any position. Since then Ive added a comp bushing that I fitted, and a long link, a flat mainspring housing, and invested in a bunch of Shooting Star 8's on a special deal McCormick made available to LE personnel. The only failure I have ever had with the thing was the result of one inferior-from-the-manufacturer part, the slide stop. It was replaced with another GI surplus part, and I added a full length guiderod and spring, and a shock buffer. I have forced that thing to digest thousands of rounds, and to this day, it will still shoot under 3" @ 25yds offhand. I wouldnt trade it for a new Porche, and when he SHTF, thats what will be in my hand. While all the Kimber-esque doodads are appealing to some, I prefer a nearly-milspec 1911 and except for that series 70 LtWt commander in Super that I have been threatening to buy since they were $350 and still havent - My "Old Thompson" has served me faithfully. Good luck with whatever you choose; but I think I would personally lean towards a MIL SPEC Springfield if it were me. Also, FYI, I would avoid ANYTHING that has a Series 80style "extra safety" because I have had coworkers and friends have Series 80types fail to FIRE and that aint EVER a good thing!! Too many safeties is NOT a good thing, and the original 3 on the 1911 are great, but that extra doo dad of the Series 80 is just plain WRONG! :)
  15. Infidel

Infidel New Member

Yeah I'm not a fan of anything chinese except maybe take-out food. I heard someone crack that joke earlier about how it seems all the toys, and other cheap crap from them was laced with all the lead paint and that. I thought it was pretty funny.;)

btw, you don't have to have a bike to run with the patriot guard. They need some vehicles for support and everyone is invited to join the PG regardless.