Help me pick one

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by IronMan45, Nov 19, 2005.

1. IronMan45

IronMan45 New Member

I have the itch to purchase my first handgun (turned 21 little bit ago) so I need you guys to help me pick one. I am a college student and dont have too much money. I am looking to spend no more than $300.

I have shot many handguns in the past including, mark II , 357mag revolver, super redhawk 454 cassull, etc and I can say I dont want a 22 even if it is cheap to shoot. I want something that can shoot fairly accurate with power and I dont plan on making it a ccw.

I am interested in a 1911 style, possibly the firestorm government model which my local gun shop quoted me at 300 out the door. Other pistols I am interested in , Hi-point 45 - $95 pawnshop, sw sigma , and what I really like is the ruger p345 but it is kinda out of my price range. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks
  2. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Welcome to our nightmare! ;)

If you are simple looking for a plinking/casual target/home defense gun, I would say go with the Hi-Point. Although they're as ugly as the backside of a mud fence, they are accurate and reliable. A Star BM 9mm (resembles a Colt Commander) might be worth a look. A good, used 4-inch barreled .357 S&W or Ruger would be my next choice.
  3. punchie

punchie Member

If you want to stay on the cheap, try a CZ52 milsup in 7.62x25 or any of the police dept trade in guns.
  4. IronMan45

IronMan45 New Member

thanks for the recommendations guys . I kinda like that star bm and for the price it seems like a good deal; I might try to find one the next time I hit up the gun show.
  5. MattJ

MattJ New Member

Im kind of new to the game, but one thing that my certified instructor made me promise him is that I would NEVER buy a gun from a gun show. If your new to shooting, you more than likely dont know what a good gun is, and how to check it for defects correctly. they could screw you sideways and you wouldnt even know it. If this doesnt apply to ya, then I appologize, I just figured i would relay the info that he gave me.
  6. In many ways, Ironman, one of the best buys out there is the S&W Sigma line. I have a 40VE and find it a reasonably good weapon. My only complaint with it is that the trigger pull is too heavy for my taste and there is no way to adjust it other than by lubrication. These guns are intended for the less expensive end of the market and S&W stands behind them which is a definite plus.

Another possibility might be one of the Russian built Makarov 9x18 pistols that are often seen in the gunshops today. They are a little on the crude side by American standards, but they function very well indeed since they were intended for combat use. Ammo is also easy to get and quite cheap.
  7. IronMan45

IronMan45 New Member

I have been around guns since I was a child and I am pretty sure I know what to look for when it comes to wear and tear on a gun; I know there are alot of factors like barrel pitting , slides and other parts getting worn and loose.
    But I agree you still do take a chance because you arent going to fully dissassemble the gun right there and check for all the imperfections.

I think that the Makarov 9x18 might be alittle on the small side for my taist; I would like to have aleast a 4 inch barrel and I am a pretty big guy , 6'4" 230 so I wouldent mind the extra heft.

as for the sigma, I am really interested in one, I like the look and feel of it and I might just go for one if I could get one out the door for 300. I see them on BrandX for around 270. I just dont know if I want to jip my local gun shop by making them do a transfer instead of buying their guns.
  8. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I dont do cheap guns myself. Saving up and getting something better is the way I try to do things. The few times I've gotten cheap guns, I was severly dissapointed. I saved two years for the last one I got and think it's worth every penny and every second of waiting.
    So, my advice: Pick out the gun you want and then save up for it. I think you'll be more satisfied in the end.
  9. I ran across a pretty good buy the other day on a CZ-75 in .40 S&W and almost scooped it up, Ironman. Dealer was asking $390 for it, NIB. The only reason I didn't buy it was that I have a couple of other pistols in the same caliber and of similar size. Frankly, I was very impressed with it. All steel and rather hefty, but it had that certain "feel" to it that makes you almost know you can hit with it. Came with two high-cap mags too! It was roughly the same size to the Sigma, but clearly a much better built weapon.
  10. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

My wife owns a CZ75BD in 9mm. (I bought it for her as a Valentine's Day present one year.) We love the pistol! We put the Hogue wrap-around grips on it. Sweet little pistol. Fits my hand much better than the Glocks did (no offense to those who like Glocks, just a fact of personal ergonomics) and even felt lighter compared to the equivalent Glock. The price was sweet, as well. We paid just under $400, lock, stock and barrel.
  11. stevejc

stevejc New Member

12. Mousegunner

Mousegunner New Member

For a first gun and not a ccw I recommend a Ruger P95. It is indestructible, it is accurate, it eats and shoots anything, and I think you can find one for under $300. It's a 9mm, so ammo won't be as expensive, either.
    Marshall at www.mouseguns.com
  13. stash247

stash247 New Member

Ironman, first, you need to decide on why you are buying this gun; only then is any of this thread, relevant
    Personally, I agree with a couple of folks who told you to not "buy Junk".
    For the $ a new High Point, or Stallard, would cost, you could buy a fine, used, S&W M34, or maybe a M63, at a gunshow, and ammo, to boot!
    I will not challenge the statement about your knowledge of arms, but will suggest that having been a shooter, and gunsmith, for forty plus years, I still get burned, on occasion, so, be cautious.
    I have always shot my best scores with rimfire pistols; my daily companion is a compact 1911. Different jobs, different guns!
    Once the "WHY" is clear in your mind, the choice will be fairly obvious; you have little need for our advice, or counsel.
  14. IronMan45

IronMan45 New Member

I appreciate all the advice guys. I just applied for my ccw and I am about to buy a new sw40gve since I can get it for 290 out the door. I figured I only wanted a pistol for light duty target practice and it will be nice to have it for protection. The s&w fit the bill.
  15. Mousegunner

Mousegunner New Member

I have one of those!

I bought a S and W 40gve too, and I like it very much. Always goes bang, and the trigger isn't nearly as bad as some people would make you think. Here's mine:
    http://www.mouseguns.com/my40/my40.htm

Hope you enjoy your new pistol!