Help me understand my .40 S&W

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Caneman, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

This is from a Glock 23...

Why do the 180 grain loads feel much smoother and easier to shoot than the 165/155 grain loads? I don't get this at all, seems like the opposite would be true...
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

This pretty much comes down to perceived recoil. Different combinations of bullets and powder burn rates influence what you describe in general. For instance my G17 seems much snappier shooting a 9mm, 115gr bullet than my 1911 shooting a 45acp 230 grainer (yes I know owning both is taboo) Rules of physics say otherwise but it is an issue of perception married with bullet weight-powder combinations, a fun plinking load is usually a fast powder under a heavy bullet as an example.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  3. smlranger

smlranger New Member

I guess that explains why I seem to really like shooting my 1911 with 230 gr RN loaded with AA#2.
  4. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

i dunno, maybe the heavier bullet moves through the barrel slower while it builds pressure, and the pressure curve is much smoother than with a smaller bullet...
  5. noylj

noylj Member

I don't know.
    My perceived recoil is from the slide slamming back more than the bullet weight or powder charge.
    Of all my guns, the one with the "worst" recoil is my .380Auto CZ83. Gun feels good in the hand with a full grip, but it feels like a .357 Mag in terms of recoil.
    Best thing to do for recoil, if you aren't going to download to light target velocity, is to use the heaviest recoil spring that still gives 100% reliability.
    This will keep the slide speed down and you won't feel that sharp impact of the slide hitting the stops.
  6. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

This issue is commonly discussed in various reloading forums. I'm not an expert on this issue, so run some searches if you want detailed explanations. With that forewarning, in general, heavier bullets, used with faster burning powders, and shot out of the same gun tend to have less perceived recoil.
  7. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

:yeahthat: thank you, didn't know that...