1. GreenFrost

GreenFrost New Member

Bought these guns at a yard sale today and was told they were from the 1800's.

I've been searching non stop and can't seem to find any information or styles that resemble these two.

If you could please help me with the date and manufacturer it'd be awesome. Maybe even a value?

What I can tell you about them:

Both have serial numbers on the bottom of barrel: 56268 and 56272
    I believe they are holster flintlock pistols?
    The handle is wooden.
    Seems to be black powder as there is still residue in the barrel.

[​IMG]
  2. ofitg

ofitg Active Member

They look very similar to a modern-made blackpowder pistol called the "New Orleans Ace".

Besides the serial numbers, are there any other markings at all?

Attached Files:

3. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Classic Arms used to sell these as completed guns back in the 70's for around 40 bucks. I think Dixie Gun Works still sells the kits. Value is whatever you can get for it but I doubt you'd get 50 bucks for one. BTW they're not flintlocks, they're percussion.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  4. GreenFrost

GreenFrost New Member

My gun does resemble the New Oreleans Ace.
    One thing is though my guns do not have any markings besides the serial numbers.
    When I searched the New Orleans Ace I came acrossed this site http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9516966
    and if you scroll down and see where the serial number is on the barrel there is a letter after the serial number + it is marked with CMC and looks like more markings underneath. Im sure if mine was made from the same company or kit it would have a serial number resemling that with the letter after and the CMC markings...
  5. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

I have a Classic Arms Twister that was bought as a complete gun in the 70's. All it has is a serial number. Kit guns usually don't have any markings. If you're trying to make an antique out of it forget it. Even the cheapest of the cheap antiques usually had a name of some kind on it.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Serial numbers change over time. I've got pre-war S&Ws with just numbers, but many of my post-war ones also have letters. Originally Colts just had numbers, but when they got to 99999, they started over at 00001, but put SA at the beginning. When the got to SA99999, they then started with 00001SA. When they got to 99999SA, they went to S00001A.

I'm sure you don't want to accept it, and I'm betting you probably paid quite a bit for those "antique" guns. But they are not antiques. They are modern copies of a gun that never was.

Oh, and the SN on MY Classic Arms Ace, that I bought in 1982, is 51843. No letters, just numbers.
  7. ofitg

ofitg Active Member

I have been looking through Flayderman's Guide, and I could not find any old percussion pistols which resembled the New Orleans Ace. I suspect that the New Orleans Ace is a modern "fantasy" design, rather than being a reproduction of an actual antique.

I concur with Hawg on the Classic Arms Twister - I have one here, the only marking is a seven-digit serial number on the butt. I have never heard of an original percussion gun being marked with a serial number but not the maker's name.
  8. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

CVA also sold these in the 70s and yours appears to be weathered enough to be from that era--suspect Classic Arms is an offshoot. CVA was known for making "almost similar 'reproductions' " of historic guns, such as the CVA Tower Pistol, which only bears a serial number. Yours resemble the screw barrel muff guns of the mid 1800s and even if genuine (and they ain't), would be worth about as much as the reproductions.
  9. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

CVA is an importer. They never made anything.
  10. GreenFrost

GreenFrost New Member

I paid $25 for both of them, Think to much?
  11. BillM

BillM Active Member

No--you did OK. They could even be as old as the 1960's. A lot
    of the kits were Spanish--I've seen them with the barrels marked
    "Jukar". Not old, no great value, but they should be shootable.
  12. Willie

Willie Active Member

Ahhh.....the muff gun......:eek::eek:
  13. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

It wasn't me. I didn't say it.:p
  14. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

I said it--nothing like a nice muff to warm extremities on a wintry day.
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I'm starting to wonder about this generation.

When the term "muff pistol" first showed up on this board, a few months ago, it was just crazy. "He said muff, snicker snicker, oh so dirty, muff, snicker snicker". Reminded me of Beavis and Butt-Head.

So I explained what a muff was. Posted pictures of women wearing muffs. Explained how a muff pistol got its name. Still, every time someone says "muff pistol", I can still see people doing the "nudge nudge, wink wink, snicker snicker, he said 'muff', snicker snicker" thing.

Couple of days ago I was watching a Nanny rerun. This show was from the early 90s. It's only 15 to 20 years old. In this episode, they gave CeCe a Pomeranian. She and he mutually disliked each other. Later in the show she walks into the room wearing a fox fur neck-piece. Everyone gasped. She skinned Chester.:eek: Then Chester comes running into the room. Everyone relaxes. Then Fran tells Chester to be careful, because, "...she might need a muff".

Obviously the script-writer expected everyone to get that. Apparently, after the scene was over, all the cast and crew did not stand around saying, "A muff? What's a muff?" So why, only a generation later, is the only thing anyone knows about "muff" is "it's a dirty word"?