help my understand my Glock failure to extract

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Caneman, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

i was testing some loads on my Glock 23, the load was at the high end of the pressure range, the case stuck in the chamber and would not extract... i could not open the slide... i was able to release and remove the slide and work the barrel out... upon inspecting the case it did not show any signs of excessive pressure (no flattened/caved primer, no blown primer, case was in tact, no bulge) but there was a scrape and gouge mark in the web... seems like the extractor caught on the web of the case and caused the jam... is this unusual, why do you think it happened?
  2. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

A picture is worth a thousand words when speaking about the "marks"
    Was it the first of the recipe that you fired off?
  3. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I see no way of the extractor causing the jam. How did you get the case out of the barrel?
  4. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

it was the second round of that recipe that i fired, first one cycled fine

after i cleared the jam id didn't use that recipe anymore and the gun did fine the rest of the day...
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  5. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

pulled the slide off, then tapped out the barrel (which was stuck in there), then took a screw driver to the stuck case through the barrel and it came out...

i put the barrel back in the slide, put the slide on, and the gun performed flawlessly the rest of the day for another 100 rounds or so... after the jam i stopped with that bullet recipe
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  6. Boris

Boris Former Guest

You are on the verge of pulling the trigger on a grenade with a very short fuse. Your hands, arms, and face might get some rearranging soon if you do not pull these rounds apart and assemble more safe loads.

Google glock 40 caliber kaboom, and get back to us...
  7. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

Not to assume anything about your reloading but was the case length within spec? It seems that it is becoming increasingly popular not to trim the cases to length with the home reloader. Had one of the Dillon sales rep tell a friend it was not important to trim the length the first couple of reloads, scary. Definitely would hold off shooting anymore until something can be determined about the round.
  8. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I am assuming the brass was very hard to tap out of the chamber. It would be rare to see pressure signs on pistol brass due to the fact the pressure is maintained for such a short time. My guess is overpresssure.
  9. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I have never in my life trimmed straight wall brass and doubt I will ever have to.
  10. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

no i did not trim the brass, and it was scrounged from the range! if it was too long woudn't it NOT chamber?
  11. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

^^^ thanks very much i do appreciate your warning and will heed your advice
  12. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

the case came out pretty easily, i probably could have pulled it out with my fingers... i think it was overpressue, the primer did flow some and imprint around the firing pin...
  13. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

The .40 cal. kaboom stories came from the early Glock chambers that didn't fully support the case. That has been remedied. If you have a Glock that still has the faulty barrel, they will replace it for free.
    A bit of primer flow is pretty normal with the Glock. Is your powder at the faster or slower end of the burn rates for powders that apply to the .40? I don't load for 40, but I do for 9, and I find that there are at least a coupla' powders that provide top performance with relatively low pressure. With faster powders, the pressure "spike" can do peculiar things. I like to use the slowest powder that doesn't produce a lot of muzzle flash. I load pretty hot, and have no probs.