Help: need to identify Double Barrel Shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Sebastien, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Sebastien

Sebastien New Member

Hello All,

I'm very new to the firearm and I am looking to get more info on this firearm.
    My grand-father (blacksmith) past away a long time ago and my grand-mother never really went back to his shop after that. Anyway many years past by and when she decide to clean the shop. We found a Double barrel break action (12 gauge) shotgun in is lock cabinet and she will like to give it to me as part of our family heritage.

But in order to register it to my name, I need to identify it. So any help will be greatly appreciate...

Double barrel shotgun – break action with external hammer
    ELG Crown under the barrel
    Barrel is 30"
    12 Gauge

There is multiple stamp under the barrel, at the tip of the barrel it's stamp TRB A05. At the middle of the barrel is stamp 4776 which I assume to be the serial number. And at the end of the barrel, it's stamp RF12 and on the stock it's 12RF

The side of the stock has a small diamond shape logo with the letter E and beside is Special. Other than that, there is not much more... Any help will be greatly appreciated...
    Cheers,

- Sebastien

Picture were removed...
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I cant offer much, but that ELG is a Belgium Leigh proof mark.
  3. muddober

muddober Active Member

Welcome aboard and your pictures are very good. I can offer just a bit more, there were several of these guns from various small manufacturers brought into the country before the turn of 19th century and were sold by many of mom and pop general and hardware stores. Some are of better quality than others but few have any real value and most I have seen look about like yours. I have one myself but unlike yours I have no idea who owned it but I sure wished it could talk.

Ron
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I have seen them range from cheap to very pricey. As far as registering it I wasnt aware that it was a must on an old shotgun anyhow. I belive this would fall under the Curio&Relic portion. Especially since the shotgun cannot be fires. It has an demascus steal barrel tha is only used for firing black powder, Even if the shot gun falls under the lower scale of the price range It could be ued as a wall hanger and family heirloom and never fired.
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

That is definitely not to be fired. First, it is a Damascus type barrel. Second, it is black powder only.

Beautiful gun. Clean it up carefully and hang it proudly.

Pops
  6. Sebastien

Sebastien New Member

Thank you all for the info.

In order for me to register it (in Canada), it need to be include into a particular MAKE. I've sent the photo to a RCMP approved verifier and the firearm will be under the "Unknow Belgium" category.

At this time, I basically have everything else and soon it would be register to my name and we (our family) will be able to keep it for more century.

Question: in order to clean up the shotgun... Should I clean the barrel only and leave the wood stock intact, or a full restoration? Any product you guys recommend?

Thank you again.

- Sebastien