Help needed with markings

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by ngonyama, Oct 2, 2009.

1. ngonyama

ngonyama New Member

Hi:
    I'm new to the forum and any help will be greatly appreciated.
    I have a Remington 1875 that has on the right side of the frame the inscription
    C.F.P.A., Does anybody has any idea of what these mean?
    Thanks in advance!!
  2. jondar

jondar New Member

That's a tough one. In the firearms world C. F. usually stands for Center Fire which the 1875 would be. P.A., I don't know. One other thing may be one of the owner's initials. You find these not uncommon on British Webley revolvers with the initials of the officer who owned it inscribed into the backstrap. Do these look like engraving or something stamped in at the factory?
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Could be that the PA is a date mark, put it in the 1980's.

Do have any pics?
  4. ngonyama

ngonyama New Member

Re: Photos of revolver

Here are some photos. I would like to know what is the approximate value of this revolver, a ball park figure.
    It has the following markings: Barrel: the Remington & Sons mark. Lt. trigger guard: 44, Lt butt frame: (a batch #) 884 and the already mentioned C.F.P.A.
    The revolver had the finish removed, showing miriads of tiny scratches all over as well as dings. The original finish appears to have been blue, since there are remainders of it in the crevices. The grips are good, not cracked and well fitting. The action is pretty smooth and locks nice, very little play in it. the barrel rifling is blunt but visible, I would say 50% worn, with some pitting and darkening. The barrel and the cylinder shows pitting as well. This revolver was supposedly manufactured between 1882 and 1886.
    Photos are included.
    Thank you for any help!!
    J.C.

Attached Files:

5. ngonyama

ngonyama New Member

A couple of additional pics of Remington 1875

Attached Files:

6. 56/50

56/50 New Member

ngonyama; I've finally found someone else with a Rem. 1875 (original) YOU!! Mine is Identical to yours but mine is a .44 rimfire and I've got 26 rounds all copper cases! The action is perfect even though the left side is pretty rough but the right side is about like yours. All the cartridges like the gun are rough on one side only, which to me looks like the gun and cartridges rested on one side for many years, from it's numbers was out on the plains in the 1880's or their abouts,lost by a soldier! My book on Rem. says C.F. is centerfire and P.A. maybe a inspector initials. I'll work on it for you! Joe
  7. ngonyama

ngonyama New Member

Joe:
    If you like these revolvers, go to the "Remington Society" website. They have a forum for old revolvers there with some more information. I'm puzzled by your statement that the revolver is a 44 rimfire. I know that the first batches were chambered in 44 Remington caliber. Was this a rimfire cartridge?
    Thank you for your help!
    J. Cardenas
  8. 56/50

56/50 New Member

I'm pretty sure it's the Remington caliber, but even the book I have on Rem. handguns only states, I quote" The original shell for which this model was chambered, the .44 Remington pistol cartridge, is scarce and information about it both scarce and obscure. In size and general form, it is a very slightly smaller edition of the .44 Colt. The ammunition was made only by E. Remington and Sons, never gained widespread use and expired at or before the time the Remington firm changed hands in 1888." end quote!! I do follow The Remington Society as well as others but you are the first from the Forum or Northeast shooters to have one!! Still working on the initials C.P. stay in touch! Joe
  9. 56/50

56/50 New Member

J.Cardenas: I checked out P.A. for inspector initial's none listed as yet, but I've got so many books I'm still looking for a few more hidden around here!! Where there is no space between C.F. and P.A. it's really an interesting problem! Joe
  10. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

The CFPA looks more like an ownership mark to me. It could be for a freight company, rail road, law enforcement, prison etc.
  11. mark_baron

mark_baron New Member

excuse me.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  12. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

That's what it is, so the question is who and what CFPA is or was.
    I don't know if Remington has the records on the 1875 like Colt has, but if they do, it may show who it was shipped to.
  13. 56/50

56/50 New Member

I was told by Remington people that they don't have records that far back!! But I'm going to try another connection and maybe I'll get lucky! Maybe the first person I talked to just didn't know how to check on the old record's, I'll try again. Joe