help on what i have

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Kenny2012, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Kenny2012

Kenny2012 New Member

i was givin this and dont know exactly what it is could someone help me please the only marking i have found on it is an oval with a +v in it and an oval with a +0 in it

Attached Files:

• 041.jpg
      041.jpg
      File size:
      73.3 KB
      Views:
    • 051.jpg
      051.jpg
      File size:
      75.7 KB
      Views:
    • 047.jpg
      047.jpg
      File size:
      76.6 KB
      Views:
    • 045.jpg
      045.jpg
      File size:
      77.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

My best inference is that you have a pre-1891 German muzzleloading caplock pistol minus its stock. Needless to say, it appears to be in rather rough condition.

Others more knowledgeable, here, may know more, or disagree with the foregoing.

The "+ over V" proof is probably supposed to be a "crown over V" that was applied to existing firearms, when the German 1891 proof law took effect.

Hope this is in the "ballpark".

P.S.- I did not see the mark you call "+0" in your photos.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  3. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I'm opting for a "shop-made" one-off. The whole lock mechanism and the breeching are pretty crude. The whole gun looks like it was made up from odd parts lying around the shop. The rear sight is backwards from the normal mounting of that type. The markings on the side of the trigger/hammer housing appear to have come from another long range sight.
    Also, the two proof marks are similar to Swiss marks I have seen.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I agree with "deadin" (post #2) in that it seems to be Swiss and not German; but its not likely a "one off" percussion pistol made from miscellaneous odds and ends. There is too much machining and detail for that to likely be the case.

This link might be informative: http://www.swissrifles.com/proofs/