HELP Please - gov. model problems

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Daric, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Daric

Daric Member

Me and my dad went out and shot our 1911s today and his would not lock back when empty."Still useing factory mag". The palm safty barly stuck out out at all. This might be normal and only noticed because of extra attention. The first round didn't want to chamber every time before fireing. We were not useing reloaded ammo. It was Win. FMJ. 230 gr. His is a colt gov. model.
    I'm sure palm safty could just need new spring but wasn't sure if I should have ramp polished or main spring replaced or both since gun has never been touched. The slide would not lock back even when pulled fully back with hand with empty mag in.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day Daric!, with the pistol empty and an empty mag in place pull the slide back slowly and watch the slide stop.

Is the mag follower engaging it and does it lift at all?

Is the plunger moving freely in and out?

If not something is causing it to drag, either a burr on the slide stop, or the locking notch in the slide is peened or burred.
    Look carefully at the locking notch in the slide. Pull the slide off and see if there is any resistance when you push the stop up. Do the same with the slide installed on the frame.

Something has to be catching that stop and not letting it come up all the way into the notch.

or thats how i remember it all ..
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

You may have a magazine problem.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Did your Dad try different mags ?
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

hmmm i missed the ultra basic eh .. shoulda asked that first but i assumed thats what everyone would do ..
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    The OP stated that they were using factory mags, so that's probably not the problem. Jack might have hit it right off the bat. There can be problem of worn, or damaged, mags though considering that he also stated feed problems. I wonder how old, or used, that factory mag is?
  7. Shooter45

Carver, I disagree...until we hear back from the Daric. :)

A good magazine is the heart of any reliability work on the 1911 pistol. It’s as integral a part as the slide or frame. Good magazines aren’t cheap; my advice is not to scrimp. Get the best you can. Wilson-Rogers ( Wilson Combat ) mags have an excellent reputation, and some people swear by Chip McCormick’s Power Mags. I prefer Metalform Mags for semi wadcutter ammo. Any of these should serve you well. Be sure to test-fit the mag in your particular gun before you buy it. It should lock the slide back when empty, and drop free of the gun when you hit the magazine release button. Polish the insides of the feed lips. If you will look at the edge of the magazine at the top, you will see a rub mark where the magazine release bears against the side of the magazine as it’s pushed home. File a slight bevel at the top of the mag where the rub mark begins. While this doesn’t bear on reliability, it does ease the insertion of magazines during a speed reload, and prevents undue wear in a critical area. Be sure to test-fire each magazine in your gun with your load of choice; it should function 100%. Maintain your magazines by disassembling them and cleaning them periodically. Use no oil inside the magazine; it will only attract dirt and powder debris. Wipe the magazine spring with a lightly-oiled rag; that’s all the lubrication required. Use stainless mags in preference to blued ones; they resist rust far better, and rust inside or outside of a magazine is your enemy. Magazine springs eventually wear out, although many a tale is told of filled-to-capacity mags working fine after years of being loaded. If you begin to experience "ride-over" failures to chamber, suspect the mag spring and either replace it or get a new magazine.

One more thing, if the grip safety rattles, as in not much "spring tension", remove the mainspring housing and slightly bend the arm back that presses against the grip safety.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    That's alright Shooter45! Although I'm not real sure what part of my post you disagree with, but it doesn't matter. I am thankfull for your imput, as I have a few mags that I have to bang to get them to seat. Now I know what to do about it! Thanks! And Happy Fathers Day to you all!
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

as stated , thats how i remember it and happy to be wrong about it too

Sam is correct , mags are way important , i goofed when i assumed ( ass, me ) they'd checked that ....

but the diagnostic path should show if the mag is off/out or the follower is not playing as it should
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I buy a brand new 1911 and throw the factory mags in the safe and buy wilson combats. I sometimes never even load a bullet in the new mags. Then when someone comes along needing a mag, I give them those.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im convinced its a mag problem. I recommended he try Wilson, chip, or metalform mags..
  12. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I'm with Josh and the rest on this one too. Just bc they are factory mags don't mean they are any good. Kimber mags are garbage too and cause all sorts of feed issues. I'm willing to be the follower is canted forward and sticks before reaching the top. Also sounds like the feed angle is low contributed by the mag lips or a mag that does not fully insert.
  13. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

It sounds to me like the magazine.

Get a Wilson Combat 47D magazine. They are pretty much the best magazine around.

I'm having a problem with my Springfield where the slide doesn't want to go fully into battery. I know it's not my ammo becuase it does it with every brand I try.

If I pull the slide all the way back and let it rack, it will go into battery. But when I fire a couple rounds, sometimes it is just not all the way into battery. I think it's just my barrel and bushing breaking in, but I think I am going to try using a different magazine to see if it fixes it.

I currently use the Kimber 8-rd magazines and they're always worked for me.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  14. Shooter45

What # recoil spring are you using ?
  15. Daric

Daric Member

Thanks for the help. I stoped by local store today and picked up new stainless colt mag on sale for 16 bucks . It might have been a mistake seeing how much everybody likes wilson combat so if problems continue I'll get the wilson 47d and no matter what I will watch dad clean gun and make sure he's doing good enough job. The mag he has has stayed loaded for the last 25 years and once shooting chambers fine and everything else except locking slide back. I feel really stupid for not trying my mag. We were trying to beat rain that was cooming in but that's just a how I lost a fish story. My bad not my dads because he doesn't shoot much.
    Again thanks everybody