Help Please. Would like to know about my gun.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rustyBurl, Dec 25, 2009.

1. rustyBurl

rustyBurl New Member

On my Browning 12 Gage Automatic it is marked with the following:

Browning Automatic FN ... 15491 8g (g? not sure) ... Light Twelve Browning ... Browning Arms Company St. Louis MO. ... Special Steel-12 GA-shells 24 ... then there are markings on the barrel some I can't make out clearly but it looks like: OKg 984 K (K?) ... then an oval mark with a diamond attached to the left of the oval ... R over PV ... inside what looks like a oval with a crown there is ELG and a small star ... last a half circle with 12-70

Could someone please let me know what all this means. Any info is much appreciated.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The oval with the crown, the ELG and the star is a Belgian proofmark. So your gun is a "Belgian Browning", which is the most coveted kind. The "G" means it's a lightweight gun, but you already know that - Light Twelve. Looks like it was made in 1934, if I'm reading the SN chart correctly. 'Course, the Browning numbering system is extremely confusing.

http://proofhouse.com/browning/index.html
  3. rustyBurl

rustyBurl New Member

Thank you for your information on my Browning Light Twelve. Your reply & informtion was much apprecited.