1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Help Please. Would like to know about my gun.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rustyBurl, Dec 25, 2009.

1. rustyBurl

rustyBurl New Member

On my Browning 12 Gage Automatic it is marked with the following:

Browning Automatic FN ... 15491 8g (g? not sure) ... Light Twelve Browning ... Browning Arms Company St. Louis MO. ... Special Steel-12 GA-shells 24 ... then there are markings on the barrel some I can't make out clearly but it looks like: OKg 984 K (K?) ... then an oval mark with a diamond attached to the left of the oval ... R over PV ... inside what looks like a oval with a crown there is ELG and a small star ... last a half circle with 12-70

Could someone please let me know what all this means. Any info is much appreciated.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The oval with the crown, the ELG and the star is a Belgian proofmark. So your gun is a "Belgian Browning", which is the most coveted kind. The "G" means it's a lightweight gun, but you already know that - Light Twelve. Looks like it was made in 1934, if I'm reading the SN chart correctly. 'Course, the Browning numbering system is extremely confusing.

http://proofhouse.com/browning/index.html
  3. rustyBurl

rustyBurl New Member

Thank you for your information on my Browning Light Twelve. Your reply & informtion was much apprecited.