Help please

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by cjh7819, May 26, 2009.

1. cjh7819

cjh7819 New Member

I am trying to reload some 30-06 rounds and the bullets are sticking up in the die when I run the bullet and casing up into it. These are once fired casings that were run through the resizing die first. I have rechecked the casings and the bullets and the die making sure they are the right ones. I called a friend who reloads and he said he has never had this problem and can't figure out what is wrong either. I have tried adjusting the seater plug up and back but so far that hasen't seemed to make a difference.
    Does anyone have any idea whats going on?
  2. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Try taking apart the seating die and thoroughly cleaning it with solvent. It sounds like you may have some debris or excess case lube. Then start from the very beginning when setting the die up again. Can you tell if the bullet is going down into the case neck or not?
  3. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

1st clean die. 2nd lube case but not to much.
  4. cjh7819

cjh7819 New Member

I can't tell for sure if the bullet was going into the casing but I really don't think so, there were not any marks on the base of it.
    Thanks for the help.
  5. muddober

muddober Active Member

My guess is that you have two things going on: One you are not seating the bullet deep enough and two you are not putting enough crimp to make it stick in the case to over come the bullet sticking to the seater plug. That problem may be that the bullet seater tapper is so close to the tapered point of the bullet that it makes a tight fit causing the bullet to stick. I had the same problem when I first used Hornady 750 grain bullets in a 50 BMG. Their long tapper made a perfect tapper fit with the seater plug and they stuck like the tapper fit in a mill head. I had to change the tapper of the bullet seater plug by turning it in my lathe thereby opening it just a bit. Also you should have no case lube at all left on your cases from sizing when you are priming, filling with powder or bullet seating as it can raise havoc with any of those three processes. I hope I have helped and not confused you.

Ron
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
  6. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

I am sure you checked, but make sure the right caliber is associated with the correct die and not dif caliber bullet.
  7. Freebore

Freebore New Member

My guess is that you may have not have fully resized the fired case, or you have the wrong (too large) expander button in the FL die.

Just a suggestion....
  8. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

I too was thinking the expander might be too large, never had this problem so I am watching for a solution as well.
  9. cjh7819

cjh7819 New Member

Thankyou for the help everyone. Last night was the first time that I had time to try and reload anything again. I took the resizing die apart and cleaned it and then redid ten casings just to see what would happen. Started from square 1 went through the whole process again. They loaded up perfectly fine so I think I just must have had to much lube on them before. They didn't feel greasy the first time but oh well it works now. Thankyou very much.