Help please!!!

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Bill Sweetman, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Bill Sweetman

Bill Sweetman New Member

I am looking for a new rifle in either 308 or 30-06. I want a thumbhole stock(love the look and feel) but will settle for laminate or synthetic. I am looking to spend 1000 or up to 1500 can. on the bare rifle.............2000 or so if I REALLY like it and can catch Wifey in a good mood!!!..............I like the finnlight by Sako in 308 or 30-06 to give you an idea...............after the gun is chosen it only leaves caliber....................yeah I know I am opening Pandora's box, but what the hell!!....Oh yeah mainly for deer and the ocasional (rare) moose hunt.

P.S. I will top it off with a good scope ...........I'm thinking Leupold vx-III.

Thanx
    Bill
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    You can't go wrong with either caliber. Personally I like the Remington 750 in 30-06 for around $900, for just plain old versitility. You can get store bought ammo from 55gr., up to 220gr. The 308 out performs the 06 down range, and is the choice of caliber for really long range shooting.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  3. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

You cant go wrong with a T3.

Why use a 308, which is just a 30-06 lite :eek:

a 30-06 will do anything a 308 will and 20% more
  4. Bill Sweetman

Bill Sweetman New Member

I already have a t3 hunter with iron sights and a 3200 elite atop, in 300 win mag.....................love the gun..... hate the recoil hence 308 or 30-06!!

Bill
  5. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Hey Rocket,

Just to play Devil's advocate here, which is more accurate at longer ranges, say sni.per type range? :eek:

I thought all US snipers shot .308 or am I mistaken? :D
  6. questor

questor Member

the secretService anti-sniper teams use .300
  7. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

30-06 ruled the battlefield until the bean counters saw you could carry more, cheaper 308 ammo.

I hit quarters at 300 yards, and paint cans at half mile.

Being that LE snipers ony train out to 300 yards with 308s.

Im betting they cant even see me at a 1/2 mile.

I can push 180s at 150s speeds witha 308.

I can also push a 110 Barnes to 3500fps, I dont know if you can stuff enough powder in a x51 case to go that fast.
  8. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    The reason that military snipers use the 7.62/.308 is that it's a standard round and the ordinance corps doesn't want another round in the supply system; never mind the fact that match ammo is required and it has the same effect. The reason that most police snipers use the .308 is because that is what the military uses.

The .308 is most efficient and thus more inherently accurate than the .30-06, however few shooters will actually be able to really notice. I use a custom model 70 in .308 for long range competition and it works well enough but really is fairly marginal in performance at 1,000 yards; the extra 100 to 200 fps out of the .30-06 makes a difference out there and that's why I've seen quite a few service rifle shooters go back to the M1 from the M1A for long range.

For hunting use, the biggest consideration is the rifling twist. Most rifles in .308 are a 1-12 twist and usually only allow the accurate use of bullets up to 165+ grains or so. Most rifles in .30-06 have a 1-10 twist and allow bullets up to 200 grains. I prefer the -06 for big game for that reason, but there is nothing wrong with a .308 either. With both rounds, it's the shooter placing the bullet in the right place that really makes the difference.
  9. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Hey Sweetman, the sako rifle and the Leupod scope are real good choices. I would take a look at the Winchester model 70 Extreme weather SS. Simply put its a great rifle. Heres a few gun MFG, who might help you out.R W Hart rifles, Cooper firearms.com, Kimber, and Steyer Manlicher. There all Excellent rifles builders. Thats my 2cents worth. Good Luck!!!!
  10. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

Here let me give you my 2 cents. Don't spend them in one place for they may be my last.

Instead of speeding that kind of money on a rifle that you don't have how about spending it on somthing the you already have. Fallow me on this.

Install a muzzel break on the 300. I know makes them "loud" to the shooter. But you should be wearing hearing protection anyway.
    Install a recoil reducer to the stock. It does not add that much weight to the rifle.
    But before I do either one of those I would try lighter loads in the rifle or reload to a powder and bullet combo that gets the job done and does not kick like a mule.

Ray