Help reassembling RIA 1911 CS

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by polamalu43, Dec 4, 2011.

1. polamalu43

polamalu43 Member

I have a new Rock Island Armory 1911A1 compact/officers model. I am having trouble reassembling the slide to the frame after cleaning. Seems the slide stop/takedown pin will not push into the hole. There seems to be just enough of the barrel link in the way. I have tried turning the gun in every way conceivable. I can't seem to get the barrel link to completely recess in the slide so the pin will fit in. I looked on Youtube, and it seems that putting the slide stop back in can be a difficult process. But, it should go in eventually. I am stumped. Anyone have a similar experience? Or does anyone have a suggestion? I really don't want to have to ship the pistol back to the manufacturer. Thanks for any help or ideas.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

You'll have to partially insert the slide stop pin and then give the slide a nudge while keeping light pressure on the pin; it should slide in and yes, it does take some getting used to. You'll get a feel for it after doing it a few times.

I think I'm following your problem correctly. It will also get a little easier with some break-in and wear.
  3. H-D

H-D Active Member

leave the mag out and pull the slide all the way back this can push the link out where it needs to be then look thru the hole til its at least 75% lined up then push the link straight in also mind the notch where the slide stop goes in it will only go in where the notch is
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Its easier to insert the slide stop if you have the recoil spring captured in those compacts.
  5. polamalu43

polamalu43 Member

Thanks for responding. I got the slide stop back in, and everything works great.
  6. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Hey pola, after you get your firearm assembled, cock the hammer, put it on safety, and try to pull the trigger. I know a fella who can fire this pistol with the safety is on. Let me know how it works for you. Thanks in advance.
  7. weasle94

weasle94 New Member

I found that the pin has a small hole in it about 1/4 of the way down it. put in a pin (safety or paper clip) to keep the spring compressed and assemble as normal and the link pin goes right through the barrel and frame ,no problem and then compress the spring with the slide and remove the pin.makes it very easy to reassemble