Help request , help ID this shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by baildaily, Jul 23, 2011.

1. baildaily

baildaily New Member

Being new to this site, I probably am in the wrong area and I appoligize if that is the case. Here goes. My Dad was born in 1901 when he was 16 his Dad gave him a used 16 ga shotgun that was used to help supply meat for the table. I received the gun from my older brother and would like some help in identifying the make. The only name is really worn and the end of the name is son arms co. And underneath that it looks like a number like this: 20 & 271900. The serial number behind the trigger guard is: 139816. A single barrel break open gun with a removable pin to take the barrel off. The forearm is very slim both it and the stock is finished walnut. My family is from Missouri not sure it that helps but they were very poor farmers that did a lot of hunting. I cannot send pictures at this time but will be able to in the near future. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. baildaily
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day and welcome to the forum ,

I relocated your post to its own thread so folks can help you better and spot it a bit easier too

and yes pics will help i can think of 5 companies that are XXX and sons , most now done

but let's see if the experts cant help anyway , it may take the pics to do so accurately but let's see
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

baildaily,
    Welcome to the forum.
    You have a Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. Model 1900 single barrel shotgun. The partial numbers are the patent dates: Feb. 20 & 27 1900. That model is broken down by lifting the swivel tab on the hinge pin and turning it 1/4 turn counter-clock-wise, then pulling it out. The "splinter" type forestock is attached to the barrel by a screw. Serial number to date of manufacture is not known, at this time, but your gun was probably made in the 1909 - 1911 time frame.
    Depending upon condition - current RETAIL value will vary from about $35 for a poor example to around $150 for a v.good example. Unused or new examples may exist and if they do they would be desireable collector items worth in excess of $200.
    These guns were made to handle early smokeless or semi-smokeless low power loads and did not have "self-adjusting" latching systems so many are seen shot loose. I, personally, would retire the old girl - she has earned it.
    IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  4. baildaily

baildaily New Member

Thank you Mr. Hauff! You got it nailed down to the picture. The only differance I see is mine is a 16 ga. Thanks again for helping a person that is not familiar with these boards.
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

bail,
    You're welcome and thanks for thanking. According to existing literature (mostly period catalogues and advertisements) - the Model 1900 was offered in 12, 16 or 20 ga. with 28, 30 or 32 inch barrels. Some of those seen seem to have a "brown" rust blued finish while others have a more modern "blued" finish. All, originally had a case color hardened receiver. These guns were priced to sell into the "utility" gun market and tens of thousands were produced - so they must have been good for the intended use. I've seen only a couple that are in what we would call v.good to excellent condition - which indicates this model was extensively used for its intended purpose - hard and continuous field and farm use - not a cabinet queen taken out two or three times a year to hunt some poor, unassuming, delicate and non-threatening avian creatures. :rolleyes: