Help required in identifying and evaluating an old gun.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by FireWeed, Jul 7, 2012.

1. FireWeed

FireWeed New Member

Hello all,

Hope you're doing well. I have a vintage gun, recently I got a chance to unpack them to see what can be done in order to clean them.

One of them has a stamp of RODDA Birmihgham at it's Barrel top. And another Stamp is at the side of Breech stating Tower 1871 alongwith a Logo (I believe) at the back.

I'm attaching some photos of Rifle so you may have a better understanding of what I'm talking about.

I'm actually looking for some help from the experts here in 1) identifying brand/manufacturer, 2) of what value they could be, and 3) how to go about in cleaning them in a proper way.

Your input on it would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Good day.

Attached Files:

2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Welcome to TFF.

Be patient its about 2 AM in Australia at the moment, and Jack404 is likely sleeping. When he gets back here you will likely get a knowledgeable answer.
  3. FireWeed

FireWeed New Member

Thanks alot, will be looking forward to see some well versed responses from veterans here.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

5. K75RT

K75RT Member

^ Most definitely a Snider, R. B. Rodda was a retailer in Birmingham, England and Calcutta, India
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It is a Snider, and not a conversion. There seems some question as to whether Rodda was a manufacturer or only a retailer; what I see inclines me to believe the latter due to the wide variety of guns with the Rodda name. I suspect that that Snider is a surplus arm sold by Rodda, either in England or in India. Other marks on the rifle might provide more info as to the manufacturer and history.

Jim
  7. FireWeed

FireWeed New Member

So we have some leads, I'm grateful to you guys for providing me with some vital bits of information, appreciated.

Now the question lies on Markings on the Gun, is there any way we could find what exactly they're for, from? I'm convinced I can extract some more details on this particuler Snider through the experience and help of veterans here. Any detailed clues?
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012