Help Restoring/Repairing .38 Unmarked Top Break.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by JasonW, Jan 10, 2017.

1. JasonW

JasonW New Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Suffolk, VA
    Hello from the new guy!
    I have been working on restoring my grandfather's Harrington & Richardson unmarked 38 auto ejecting top break pistol. The gun was in horrible shape when he past away and my dad has held on to it as a keep sake for ever. I finally pried it from his hands with promises of restoration. I have researched as much as I can on my own but have hit 2 road blocks now that I've gathered what I believe to be all the needed pieces to put this back together.
    1st: the lever doesn't seem to remain correctly engaged with the lifter. I can put it together and install it in the frame, it will function as desired about 2-3 pulls of the trigger but then jumps off the pin on the side of the lifter. I have examined it and even gotten a replacement lifter with a nice pin but the lever seems extremely loose fitting around this small pin off the lifter. Does anybody know how tight this union is supposed to be?
    2nd: the replacement sear spring I purchased doesn't seem to want to stay in the up right position between the trigger guard and the sear. Is there a trick to getting this spring to stay in place properly? 20170110_174634c.jpg 20170110_174709c.jpg 20170110_174725c.jpg

2. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Arlington, TX
    Post pictures of the whole gun and parts so we can identify a model.

Here is a link for a schematic on Numrich for the large frame which has a similar trigger guard.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...odelLargeFrameAutomatic-38145.htm?results=All

I collect Iver Johnson's, but the mechanisms on the top breaks is similar. It looks like you have the wrong trigger. Typically the lever is held in place by the lifter pin, and there is a recess in the side of the trigger for the lever so it fits flush in the frame. The pin on the side of the lifter is actually for the lever spring to rest on. Item 25 Nickel Trigger will show you what I am talking about.

Sears and the notches on the hammers of these old guns are often worn out. They were not cheap guns, but not of the highest quality and years of use are a testament to their popularity. Yours has probably been repaired several times over the course of its life and may need some replacement parts.

jim brady likes this.

3. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Apr 6, 2008
    N. Utah
    The design of the flat hand spring sitting in a groove was a very poor design by H&R. PM me and I'll send you a tutorial on how to rectify this situation.
    Old Gun Guy

Dave_H, Shrek73 and jim brady like this.
  4. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Yelm, WA
    BTW Welcome to TFF

5. JasonW

JasonW New Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Suffolk, VA
    20170111_191558.jpg Hey thanks for the welcome.
    Here's a picture of everything I have minus the grips which where originally the "Target tops" style. I have repos on the way

6. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Arlington, TX
    Send a PM to old gun guy and he will be able to help you.

You may want to consider finding original grips. Replacements never look right on a gun that is 100 years old.

7. JasonW

JasonW New Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Suffolk, VA
    PM sent, Old Guy is on it.
    I have been looking for OG grips for a year and no luck. I picked up some repo black and repo rose wood. I will probably make the rose wood work. it's a lot easier to shape and fit wood than molded plastic.

So this gun was nickel plated. I am thinking of bluing it or maybe doing a Cerakote in like a Stainless or Gun Metal Grey. They have so many color options now it's a difficult choice.
    Opinions?

8. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Arlington, TX
    I am a traditionalist, and would prefer to keep it in its original condition as much as possible. There are ways to remove the nickel, but I have never tried it. I would use a cold blue rather than cerakote to give it a classic finish. You can save a search on eBay for the grips and receive email notifications when new items that you are watching are listed.

9. Dave_H

Dave_H Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Camden, SC, USA
    Hi Jason, I am working on one too. Before you do anything else, you might want to electrolyze it to remove the rust. There is an outside chance the nickel may be better than you think. If you could save the nickel, it would be pretty. If my nickel is too far gone, I am going to blue mine. There is something about a nice, deep, hot blue that has always seemed really beautiful to me. Good luck with your piece :)

EDIT: Search YouTube: Rust, Electrolysis

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Shrek73 likes this.
  10. JasonW

JasonW New Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Suffolk, VA
    I know how electroplate works, and have tried a crude setup on a few trinket type things in the past but how do you electrolyze it to remove the rust?
    Hot bluing or parkerizing processes are more risk than I want to deal with on my own so I would have to send it off to be done. I have a connection to spray Cerakote... I do airbrush work and a local shop that does Cerakote calls me from time to time to come in and do some artwork for them, so... it would be easier for me to Cerakote it if I can find the right color and finish.
    But I agree I like a deep blue gun

11. Dave_H

Dave_H Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Camden, SC, USA
    Hi Jason, If you do a search on YouTube with the search term "Rust Electrolysis" a blue million videos turn up but this one is one of the best. Remove Rust With Electrolysis In this one a guy electrolyzes an old rusty lockset. The results are amazing. Actually, hot bluing is a simple, easy process, both easier and simpler than Cerakote. Again, the source is YouTube. This video is pretty good, DIY Reblue Your Gun At Home For $50. However, if you can get a pro Cerakote finish cheap.... that's hard to knock ;)

EDIT: BTW, if you blue a revolver, don't forget to drive a hardwood plug into both ends of the barrel.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017 at 5:30 PM