1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Help: Shotguns for youth and modern slugs in older 20 gauge shotguns

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by flyingfinn, Nov 19, 2009.

1. flyingfinn

flyingfinn New Member

Greetings,

These forums seem like a great resource and this is my first post.

Here's my situation and multi-pronged question: I'm looking for a first shotgun for a 12 year old boy. Would like to bird hunt and deer hunt. I have two shotgun options available to me right now:

1) Connecticut Valley Arms, 20 ga., break-open, in excellent condition, owner wants $100-$130

2) Iver Johnson Champion, 20 ga., single-shot, break-open, barrel says "CHOKE BORE BARREL LUG", good condition, owner wants $75

Sorry, I can't provide much more detail than that right now.

My main question: Can I shoot rifled slugs out of either of these guns?

Are there better options for a first shotgun for a youth?

Thanks in advance,

flyingfinn
  2. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    I am no expert but i think either one would do a good job shooting a slug. My sons first outing for deer was when he was 11 he used a Winchester single shot 20ga with slugs and that gun did the job just fine. He killed a four pointer, i think the 20ga is a good gun to start out with.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I, personally, would go for the Iver long before I even thought about a CVA. "Choke bore" means full choke, which was normal on old single-shots.

There are two types of slugs. Sabot and Foster.
    [​IMG]

You want the Foster kind. Sabot slugs are for use in rifled shotgun barrels. They don't work for beans in a smoothbore.

Brenneke slugs are a Foster-type, with a wad attached to the backside. I think they are the best of the Foster type, but they do cost more.
    [​IMG]