Help: Shotguns for youth and modern slugs in older 20 gauge shotguns

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by flyingfinn, Nov 19, 2009.

1. flyingfinn

flyingfinn New Member

Greetings,

These forums seem like a great resource and this is my first post.

Here's my situation and multi-pronged question: I'm looking for a first shotgun for a 12 year old boy. Would like to bird hunt and deer hunt. I have two shotgun options available to me right now:

1) Connecticut Valley Arms, 20 ga., break-open, in excellent condition, owner wants $100-$130

2) Iver Johnson Champion, 20 ga., single-shot, break-open, barrel says "CHOKE BORE BARREL LUG", good condition, owner wants $75

Sorry, I can't provide much more detail than that right now.

My main question: Can I shoot rifled slugs out of either of these guns?

Are there better options for a first shotgun for a youth?

Thanks in advance,

flyingfinn
  2. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    I am no expert but i think either one would do a good job shooting a slug. My sons first outing for deer was when he was 11 he used a Winchester single shot 20ga with slugs and that gun did the job just fine. He killed a four pointer, i think the 20ga is a good gun to start out with.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I, personally, would go for the Iver long before I even thought about a CVA. "Choke bore" means full choke, which was normal on old single-shots.

There are two types of slugs. Sabot and Foster.
    [​IMG]

You want the Foster kind. Sabot slugs are for use in rifled shotgun barrels. They don't work for beans in a smoothbore.

Brenneke slugs are a Foster-type, with a wad attached to the backside. I think they are the best of the Foster type, but they do cost more.
    [​IMG]