Help sighting in

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 1LoneWolf75, Jun 20, 2012.

1. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 New Member

I need help with a sighting in problem. I let my dad keep my Marlin .30-30 and he re-sighted it. I now have a small range to shoot at and would like to re-sight it. My question is, using 150 grain factory loads ( I know not greatly consistent just waitin fer money fer reloadin stuff) how high should it be at 50yards to hit on at 200 yards? Also how high should it then be at 100 yards? My personal range is 100 yards. Thanks fer yer help guys
  2. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Not as much of a rainbow arc as most people think, 3 1/2" high at 50 will be 4" low at 200 and that is still kill zone but unless you scope it I would stay at 150 yards or less for a sure kill or go with the LeverEvolution ammo. I have both and I just zero at 60 yards and call it good. I am consistently in the heart at 100 yards shooting off a shooting stick with that zero with both my 30-30 and 32 Win spcl.

150 SPCL 50 yards - (0.2) 100 yards - (zero) 150 yards - (-2.4) 200 yards - (-7.6)

Here is what you want:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/Outdoors/resource/remington_charts/3030wbal.htm

and for most other calibers this will be close:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/Outdoors/resource/ballistics.aspx
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yep. sight it for 50 yds dead on and it should be a tad high at 100 and a tad low at 200
  4. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

You may already know this, but it is worth mentioning anyway. If your 30-30 has a band over the barrel, then you need to let the barrel completely cool down between shots. Since the barrel is not floated, it will make contact with other metal on the gun as the barrel heats up. This can change how the barrel vibrates when fired, and can throw your bullet off as much as 4" - 6" at 100 yards. Accuracy is all about consistancy. The only way to be sure that a non-floated barrel vibrates exactly the same way shot after shot is to let the barrel completely cool down between shots.
    Have you ever sighted your rifle in with 4 out of 5 shots hitting the target in a nice group, but 1 out of the 5 shots flew way off to the left or right? That flyer was caused from the barrel's contact points changing as the barrel heated up, which made the barrel vibrate differently. If you let the barrel cool down between shots, you can avoid those frustrating flyers.
  5. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 New Member

Thank yall fer the info!!!