Help---- strange 30-06 reloading problem

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by deerstuffer, Mar 28, 2010.

1. deerstuffer

deerstuffer New Member

I am new to the reloading hobby. I have reloaded 300 rds of 30-06 under supervision of an experienced loader. When we tried some test fires I got only 30% to discharge, I asked other shooters at the range to try my loads and see what luck they had- result, same rate. Everyone at the range was scratching their heads because all looked good. Many said the primers were not getting indented enough and that I was seating my primers to deep. I fixed 25 rds. and got the same results. Then took gun to two gunsmiths who said gun is good. Then sent reloading dies back to Lee Manf. for test, those turned out perfect. Now have discovered that when I seat bullets deep all is good but if I seat long enough to fit my Model 70 I get the poor discharge rate (not exceeding the recommended OAL measures though) WHY and when I read that bullet seat depth should have nothing to do with discharge. What am I doing wrong!
    Thanks deerstuffer
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Seating the primers too deep? You've been talking to morons. It is impossible to seat the primers too deep. You put them in as far as they will go.

Usually, failure to fire with reloads is caused by not seating the primers deep enough. If you don't have them all the way into the primer pocket, the firing pin blow will finish seating them. That uses up some of the momentum of the mainspring, and you end up with light-strikes.

I suggest letting your "experienced loader" buddy prime 50 cases or so. That's all, just prime 'em. Then you load 'em the rest of the way. Load 'em the same way as you did your 300 rounds. Same bullet. Same overall length. Same everything. Then go test fire 'em. See if that solves the problem.
  3. deerstuffer

deerstuffer New Member

two gunsmiths told me that. But the problem still is I took 51 cases with primers and discharged all 51 for 100% fireing rate. But when I custome load for my model 70 (take cart with bullet seated very long try to close bolt if hard move bullet deeper until bolt closes easily multiple times then when bolt closes easily seat just a little deeper and it is set) I get 30% discharge rate with very weak prime indents - take bullets to max bullet seat depth from chart and I get good primer dent and 100% discharge Why What am I doing wrong? Thanks!!
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Is this a new set of dies?
    Do you have another set of dies you can borrow to test.

I'm wondering if your cases are being resized too short...In effect creating an excessive headspace condition. If this is the case, the firing pin is driving the entire case deeper into the chamber (much like it would drive in a not fully seated primer). With the bullets seated "long", the cartridge is being held back against the bolt face by the bullets contact with the rifling.

How does the rifle perform with factory loaded ammo?
    If good, then I would see if either your dies are faulty or if you're just resizing the cases too short (you normally shouldn't be possible to adjust the dies to that extent).
    If you get the same light strikes with factory ammo, I would suspect the chamber in your rifle is cut too deep.
  5. Texxut

Texxut Member

1. Are you sizing & reloading used brass?

2. Are you using new, unsized brass?

If your answers are 1-yes 2-no

you could be pushing the shoulder back too far, thereby allowing the cartridge to move too far forward in the chamber. ie: firing pin can't reach the primer. This could explain:

"take bullets to max bullet seat depth from chart and I get good primer dent and 100% discharge..."

Your long seated bullet is contacting the lands and holding the case back against the bolt face. (not really a good situation. you want the bullets close to lands, but not touching)

If your answers are 1-no 2-yes, I haven't got a clue.
  6. Texxut

Texxut Member

Bindernut, you type faster than me. :)
  7. deerstuffer

deerstuffer New Member

I sent the dies back to Lee Manf. and for just that reason and they did the test and said they are perfect if they are "set up properly" and the gun will shoot factory loads flawlessly but I am still confused why the bullet depth seems to be the problem?
  8. Texxut

Texxut Member

The bullet depth is not the problem. How deep or long you seat the bullet and how it effects the operation of your rifle, is a symptom of the problem.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

cant believe no one has asked, but can you post some pics of your problems. I mean pics of everything from the loaded rounds that work 100% of time to the ones that fail. pics of the primers seated in the case. shoot from angles so we can see the cartridge like its in our own hands. A loaded round next to a factory round will also help. And a pic of your die set with the stampings visible. be glad to help you out but im having a hard time understanding why youre experiencing malfunctions, you shouldnt be...
  10. deerstuffer

deerstuffer New Member

I'll see what I can do about getting pics tomorrow. Texxut could you tell me more about what you are suspecting about the symptom vs. the cause.

Thanks to all who are willing to talk to me on this problem!!!
    deerstuffer
  11. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

I would double check the primer seating depth. I like the idea to have your buddy seat just the primers and you load the rest. The primer should be just below flush with the bottom of the brass. It should not be sticking out.

J
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

jdon is correct. .004" below flush to be exact...
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    What is the OAL of the rounds you are loading?
  14. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

And the c.o.a.l...in other words, post as much as you can about the rounds...the c.o.a.l. (without the bullet) and the O.A.L. ( with the bullet).

J
  15. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

What primers are you using? Please state the name and description or number.

J