Help to identify Browning pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rocklinskier, Aug 16, 2009.

1. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Hello all,

I have what I believe is a rather old Belgium made Browning semi auto 22 LR pistol, 10 round mag.

I cannot find a serial number that seems to make sense. The number is a 7 digit serial, no letters,

It is a beautiful long barrel pistol with checked wooden grip, gold trigger. and adjustable rear sight.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Pictures with lots of detail of markings help most. {Put a piece of masking tape over the last two digits of the serial number if you wish.}

If you can not post pics, a very detailed description of all markings and dimensions are next best.
  3. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

O.K. Took some pics...
    Overall length approx. 10.5"
    Overall Height approx 5"
    Barell length approx 6"

10 round mag with "22 LR Browning" engraved on base
    Serial # at front of grip in metal frame, Made in Belgium on frame

Browning 3.jpg

Browning 4.jpg

Browning 5.jpg
  4. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

Challenger, rather old is relative to...........?
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

An old pistol !!!, good grief. As posted it is a Browning Challenger 1962 to 1974.
  6. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Appears to likely be a Challenger but the serial number as you describe it is puzzling.

FN has owned the "Browning name for many years. I am not a serious collector of any one thing or manufacturer. I have enough sense to say "I don't know" or in this case have no ideas, when I do not.

I suggest that you get on the web and get a contact phone # for Browning USA service department. A few years ago (when they announced the closing of the USA Winchester factory) they had a historian for both the Browning and Winchester. I believe I remember his surname as being Jennings. He is most knowledgeable and was very helpful.
  7. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Thinking more and going back over poster's last info, I do not think this pistol was made for sale as a "Browning" or for the USA market.

The serial # is not typical of Browning. It may have been made in the same FN factory; on the same tooling as the "Challenger"; but not for sale as a Browning, or for retail sale in the USA, as the poster makes mention of "Browning" being on the mag. and nowhere else.

More detailed photos of markings on the pistol (not mag) would be helpful.
  8. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

The standard Challenger was made until 1975, the Challenger II was not made by FN(ATI) and the grip angle was changed, the third model remained with the same grip angle and lower quality and alloy frame. No rocket science here.

It could be a Nomad with non-issue grips.
  9. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Hey everybody....I just figured this thing out...i feel a bit dopey, but that's how it goes sometimes.
    THe serial # was a bit polished out, and my eyes aren't what they used to be, but under a little hand held magnifying glass, as I looked at that # at different angles, it revealed itself that the 3rd to the last digit was in fact the letter "U" and not a number "0"

Soooo....now we have a 7 digit# ending with U69 According to a search, Browning made a mid year change in the way they listed serial #s in 1969...

The gun is a 1969 Challenger unless there is something else that you guys might have to add???

Thanks to all for your help and input. I will enjoy having this gun for years to come and eventually handing it down to my son.

Thanks
  10. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:eek: Yes, the correct information always helps in firearm identification. Knew it was a Challenger, I just figured you left out a little information.:)
  11. jbrewer8

jbrewer8 New Member

I have a Challenger .22 pistol, but I can't identify it's date w/ the serial number. The format doesn't look like what the Browning website shows. Is there a reason it's not wise to post the sn? If it's no big deal, I will post the number for additional help.

Thanks!