Help unload 38 S&W CTG

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by WW2, Aug 6, 2008.

1. WW2

WW2 New Member

Okay so i found my grandfathers old military gun. Its a 38 S&W CTG.
    It has 38 S&W CTG stamped on the left side of the barrel and on the butt of the gun it has the serial numbers 239942. The top of the barrel has stamped Smith & Wesson Springfield Mass USA. I don't know anything about guns. Want to know if anyone knows how to unload/load it so i can take the five rounds that are in it out since it does not have a safety like newer guns. Thanks and it looks to be a hinge that would let me access the rounds. and anyone know where i can get more info on this gun? I am a newbi but i know how to use the search button and have looked thread after thread and have not seen anything like this gun. Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Joel Lehman

Joel Lehman New Member

It is a break action revolver. Pull back on the knobs/buttons above and just behind the cylinder, then press down on the barrel. The barrel should pivot down so the cylinder is exposed. The cartridges may eject all at once.

Joel Lehman, Austin TX
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Okay, you've got a 5th Model Safety Hammerless, made between 1907 and 1940. It does have a safety. The thing on the back of the grip is a grip safety. If it is not depressed, the gun cannot fire.

Look at your third picture. Upper R/H part of the gun, above the cylinder and in front of where the hammer ought to be. See the round, protruding piece, with the checkering (cross-hatching) on it? There's one exactly like it on the right side of the gun. Grab hold of these two pieces and lift them straight up. That lifts the latch to open the gun. That screw, just forward of the latch, is the pin the latch pivots on. As the gun opens up, the ejector star will automatically rise and eject the cartridges. See, in your bottom picture, just behind the rear sight? Two rectangles that are a lighter color than the rest of the topstrap? Those are the lugs that the latch locks onto to hold the gun closed.
  4. BillP

BillP New Member

Don't look for a safety on newer revolvers. Yours is one of the few revolvers ever made with a safety. :)
  5. WW2

WW2 New Member

Thanks for your help guys..appreciate it. Well when i leave for the coast guard next month i will get to know more about guns.. I am clueless.. Thanks again..
  6. JDAZE

JDAZE New Member

Nice gun!
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009