Help w/a .45ACP load

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

SkiingFool1974
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/12/02 11:36:41 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Help w/a .45ACP load
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am all set to do my first load (the scale should be in today ), however I'm having a lot of problems finding a load to use. I picked up 231 powder, Federal primers, and 185 grain SWC lead bullets. I have checked in several reloading manuals, yet I can't find a load for the 185 grain lead bullets! I find plenty of data for a jacketed 185 grain bullet, but nothing for the SWC. Does anyone know of a load that will work for this reloading virgin? I've been told that the data for the jacketed bullet should work, however since this will be my first load, I want something that will work, and not something that should.
    I guess this is what happens when I don't look in my manual before picking up my supplies!
    Thanks,
    Evan

inplanotx
    (9/12/02 1:49:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Help w/a .45ACP load
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have been using the H&G #68 200gr LSWC for many years in my .45. I use between 5.1 and 5.3 grains of WW231. Nice load and is not a wrist breaker. Hope this helps

I am not a native Texan, but I got here as fast as I could!

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/12/02 4:21:41 pm)
    I just checked my Win book and the closest they come is 180gr lead. Start load is 5.3gr.
    That being said I'd start at 5.0 to 5.1. Either should be safe and give you room to work up.
    Sorry I couldn't fine a specific load for 185gr. I checked 4 different books to get what I got.
    Smoky

SkiingFool1974
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/13/02 5:28:51 pm)
    Thanks Inplanotx and Smokey, I appreciate both of you taking the time to help me out!!!

Wish me luck!

Evan