HELP - Winchester Model 74

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by shattered00, May 18, 2006.

1. shattered00

shattered00 New Member

After failing to find an online manual, I attempted to take this rifle apart against my better judgment. I took it apart all the way down to the barrel, and failed to figure out how to get it broken down further. I then put it back together or so I thought.

First, the picture labeled "1" contains a photo of a piece that fell on the floor. I am fairly certain that the part was located someone in picture 3.

Second, I really wanted to break this rifle down further, because I know that it has a lot of gunk in there somewhere. Only the barrel has ever been cleaned as far as I know. Any suggestions?

Third, I cannot get the safety to move to the fire position. I used break free to try and loosen it up but to no avail. Is there a trick to getting this to slide over? (Picture 2)

The digital camera is malfunctioning due to it being a cheap POS, so I was forced to use my webcam. I took random pictures of parts, in hopes that someone is familiar with this weapon who can also guide me via the pictures.

I can take more per request, but they will all be of the ****ty quality like the ones below.

EDIT: The picture order got all screwed up. The first pic is of the area underneath the charging handle. The second pic is of the part that fell out. The third pic is of the safety. The fourth pic is of the area where I think the part from the second pic fell out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  2. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

Hey Shattered00,
    That mystery pice that fell out is the trigger spring.
    The curved part fits over the magazine tube then the legs go under the pin in the stock and then inside the lags of the trigger bar and then lay on top of the end of the trigger bar.
    If you haven't already got it back together (I noticed your post is from last month) and can't understand my less than coherent instructions, let me know and I'll take some pics for you.
    Dan
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  3. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

Now for the disassembly. I will be quoting directly from the little reproduction card that I got off of ebay (www.rediscovered-shooting-treasures.com).
    To take down the gun: Draw the magazine partway out, unscrew the take-down screw in the bottom of the forearm and lift the barrel/receiver out of the stock.
    To remove the bolt-be sure no cartrige is in the chamber. uncock the gun by pulling the trigger. Push the plunger at the rear to the right until unlocked and draw the operating slide rearward withdrawing entire bolt assembly. Note: the plunger cannot be unlocked if the gun is cocked.
    To dismount the gun- Remove boltas above, cock firing pin by pushing bolt back to bolt stop and allowing to move foreward to its limit. Holding bolt spring back, drive out the operating slide pin and remove operating slide, bolt and bolt spring. Holding firing spring compressed toward front, release firing pin by pressing rear end of sear downward. Drive out sear pin and remove sear and sear spring. Dive out bolt stop plunger pin from above, taking care not to lose plunger spring. Remove plunger and spring. Drive out extractor pin from below and remove extractor and spring. Drive out magazine throat pin near front of receiver. Push throat rearward until free and remove downward.
    Swing cartridge cutoffs outward and remove from throat. From rear of receiver, insert small wire into the unoccupied spring seat of safety lock and push out lock from either side of receiver. Unscrew timing rocker guide screw, drive out rocker pin and remove rocker and spring.
    To remove outer magazine-Unscrew buttplate screws and remove buttplate with magazine attached, taking care not to lose magazine lifting spring near front end of stock. Unscrew magazine sleeve nut and remove magazine from buttplate.
    To reassemble bolt with bolt stop.-Place bolt stop plunger in bolt stop, with spring hole toward right, and pin slot downward insert spring and drive in bolt
    stop pin from below until bolt stop moves freely back and forth. With a small rod, compress spring and drive in pin to rod, remove rod and drive in pin until flush with surface. Replace sear, sear spring and pin. Compress firing spring on firing pinand push firing pin rearward under sear until cocked. Place bolt spring on its rod and insert rod into its seat below firing pin. With thumb and forefinger compress bolt spring on its rod until front end is about even with point of firing pin, insert firing pin in larger hole in bolt and bolt spring in smaller, push bolt rearward, insert operating slide in its slots in bolt and bolt stop and drive in operating slide pin.
    Assemble other parts in reverse order of dismounting.
    Note: Due to its automatic action, powder residue tends to accumulate in the mechanism. this is easily removed by taking out the bolt as described and wiping burned powder from receiver and bolt.
    To put the gun together-Unlock the magazine by turning head in buttplate and draw out about two inches, lay receiver in stock and screw take-down screw firmly home.
    To insert bolt- Be sure firing pin is foreward by pressing rear end of sear downward, slide bolt into receiver, with operating slide toward right, until cross plunger stops against receiver at rear. Push plunger to the right until it enters and push foreward until plunger snaps into its seat.
    Hope that helps
  4. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

By the way, what is yours chambered for? Mine is chambered for shorts.
  5. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

I thought of another way to describe the trigger spring placement.
    (I swear I'm the last person in the world you want writing a instuction manual)
    Lay the spring on the magazine tube foreward of the trigger, slide it rearward underneath the cross pin in the stock. Pick the ends up and lay them on top of the rear end of the trigger bar. How's that?
  6. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

Take it down and you will be able to tell what's blocking the safety.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  7. madmxx22277

madmxx22277 New Member

Has anybody had any malfunction with this gun, mine has been down for a year or so, a few months I tried replacing a handful of parts and it still doesn't work... What it does it will fire the first round, but the bolt will not lock the fireing pin for the second round, it cycles the next round in the chamber, but the fireing pin is not cocked... I tried replacing the the bolt spring, the firing pin spring and the sear/catch that locks the firing pin back (and it's little spring)... Please help, I love shooting this little accurate rifle.
  8. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

Where did you get your parts? What is it chambered for? I'll have to take mine down and try to see if I can tell what your problem is.
  9. madmxx22277

madmxx22277 New Member

I got the parts from Numerich, the rifle is chambered for .22 LR
  10. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

Take the bolt out and squeeze it together. Does it cock? Does the firing pin lock back?
  11. madmxx22277

madmxx22277 New Member

yes, sorry should of put that down, I can manually cock it... If I am shooting it, the first shot goes bang, but the second the firing pin is not cocked, so then I manually cock it (ejecting live round) and then it will do it's single bang again... It's like if you shoot it, there isn't enough force to cock it, there is enough to cycle rounds, but not go far enough to cock it... This gun use to shoot just jim dandy, then it started doing this.
  12. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

Yes, you did put that down, I just missed it. The plunger that you move to get the bolt out has a little hole in it for a pin to come back into when it recoils or you cock it. If that hole isn't lined up, it won't cock. Obviously that isn't your problem. I guess, since you've been in there and replaced those parts, it is clean so that isn't it. I don't know what it is.
  13. madmxx22277

madmxx22277 New Member

Geez, your a lot of help... just joking, yeah I'm kinda stumped also, it's an old gun and has had many rounds through it, My Grandfather bought it shortly after he got out of WWII and he gave it to me in the late 80's... I think my next step is to replace the firing pin, it is like $36 or so from numerich...