The Firearms Forum banner

Help with 1911 Colt Custom?

Tags
2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Nam1970 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a 1911 Colt? Custom Combat by John B. Williams. The slide is more rounded than your typical 1911 slide, and the serial #s start with CLW. The guy claims it's a Colt frame, but there are no other markings on it, and I can't find anything on this 'Williams' person, or the CLW being a Colt suffix. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Post some detailed pictures. I have never heard of the builder but he probably hasn't heard of me either. :D There are a lot of good unknown gunsmiths out there that no one has ever heard of that do some very good work. And there are some that can do a real hackjob on a good 1911. Stay away from these. Does the seller not know the gunsmith ? Who did he get the pistol from ? Did they know him. Sounds like some research is in order.

There are a lot of things to check on this pistol to see if it's a good one. Have you shot it ? How does it function ? The word "custom" is used on a lot of pistols which only had some parts changed.

#3 ·
I have the pics in my documents, but don't know how to transfer them to this post. I havn't shot the pistol. It has a adjustable trigger, beveled port, custom hammer, and beavertail grip safety. He says it's on a Colt frame, but there is only a serial number, and I'm a suspicious about it. I can buy it for $550.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.