help with a .22 mag

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/3/02 10:26:13 pm)
    ezSupporter
    help with a .22 mag
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was thinking about getting a new .22 mag and am looking for a left hand bolt action with a tube magazine or a lever action with a tube magazine. Who makes this?
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/4/02 6:23:55 am)
    Reply Re: help with a .22 mag
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Piggo, just got a Win 9422 mag on GB---$265.00 and its like nu. Pretty neet little gun, put a 2x7 loop on her an hope to work out soon. I think southpaws r somewhat tuff to come by---maybe LTS can help, he's inta 22's.....Good luck!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/4/02 1:53:01 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: help with a .22 mag
    Marlin makes bolt action .22 mags with a tube mag but only in right hand.

They also make a bolt action .22 mag in left hand but it has a clip magazine.
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/5/02 5:48:39 pm)
    Piggy U may want to chek out the older Anschutzies, they may got one but prally a little pricey

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/5/02 8:03:45 pm)
    ezSupporter
    I don't know any old girl named Ann Shutzies. But I will check

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/5/02 8:22:35 pm)
    Pig, maybe more than you want to go (in price) and not tube fed.....though I like tube feeders, a dented tube puts you out of action fast and rimfires get some use. This is one sweet shooting rifle.

Ruger 77/22 VBZ .22WMR Heavy Barrel, Laminated stock, flat finish stainless....9 shot flush removable rotary magazine. 24" tube. Very slick shooter.

$425.00 retail, with rings.....no sights. LTS

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/5/02 8:50:26 pm)
    ezSupporter
    I know it LTS I have looked at that. I would consider it because the mag is flush mounted and holds 9 shots.

The problem is I have argued with two of my budies so much about the merits or lack thereof of Ruger guns that I would be crow for a year if I showed up with a Ruger.

They are both Ruger NUTS and I just like to argue.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/5/02 9:02:19 pm)
    File the name off and tell them it was custom built just for you. Jaw drops slightly, eyes cant left, drags foot in dirt....REALLY????? LTS

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/5/02 9:30:19 pm)
    ezSupporter
    I would engrave Browning on it but old John would turn over in his grave

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/6/02 4:42:54 pm)
    Piggy i got best friend wit a real honest to God "Colt Hartford Ct" stamp.....if'n ya want sumpin reely outa the ordinary

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/6/02 5:06:06 pm)
    ezSupporter
    I can see it now ib and friend in the sleeper of an old Mack truck feverishly stamping the illicit stamp into Spanish pot metal pistols and selling them for premiums to drooling collectors.

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/13/02 8:42:03 am)
    U bin peekin agin?? That ain't all that goes on in the old mack sleepers

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/13/02 9:10:17 am)
    ezSupporter
    hmmm sounds furtive to me

Actually I am thinking of a Henry lever .22 mag. I gets the tube feed and don't have to worry about the bolt being on the wrong side
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

excellent choice in the henry. the golden boys are a bit flashy, but they're all pretty well built and pretty accurate too. with a little practice you should be able to achieve 3 inches or better @ 100 yds with iron sights and premium ammo. remington 33 gr v-max shoots exceptionally well through mine, but a bit pricey @ roughly 11 bucks a box. if you were to opt for a scope, a good 4x should do the trick and you should get 1.5 or better depending on how steady your hand is. groundhogs and squirrels beware!!!
  3. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

only marlin makes a tube feed, and it is the longest. 12 plus 1.
  4. clmanges

clmanges New Member

I've got a Henry, and there are some things about it that I like a lot. It looks great (hang it on the wall and it's pure Americana), it's light and nicely balanced, and has a very light trigger pull. The trigger guard loop is generously sized, so you can easily shoot it with gloves on.
    The sights on mine were less than delightful, and the action was a bit flaky at first (a couple FTF and several FTE events, which only needed thorough lubrication to fix). Sights were the worse problem; when I got mine, it was shooting about 4" low at 25 yds, and I found by measurement that the front sight blade was about 1/16" too tall, and I shaved it down. Also, the rear sight was off center, and is aggravating to get adjusted. I did a work-around; see my thread in the technical section about "peepsights on a henry."
    Also, it runs a little hot. After the first ten rounds or so, my view of the sights and the target is distorted by heat-waves rising off the barrel, and I wonder if maybe they should have put a bit more steel into the barrel at the chamber area.
    Finally, aftermarket goodies for them are non-existent, if that means anything to you.
    These are just my gripes; go look at one and you might love it.
  5. harleyincanada@gmail

harleyincanada@gmail New Member

Marbles Gunsight makes a great peep tang sight for Henry's. Not cheap but it would solve lot of problems with iron sights, especially for older eyes like mine. I have Lyman peeps on my Great Plains and no blurry eye problems.
  6. canonguy

canonguy New Member

I weird choice would be a used Pump action Winchester 275. Trigger is a little tight/rough and they stopped making them in the 1980's?? Ruger..humm? I really like like Rugers for their price/performance ratio. Can you buy a buy a more accurate gun? sometimes, but it might cost 25% to 50% more. What a great way to practice humillity and show up at the range with one to shock your friends.