Help with a AMMO question please

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/31/02 2:52:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Help with a AMMO question please
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I received this via e-mail. I responded that I would post it on the board and see if one of our experts could help with an answer, Thanks Guys!
    I was surfing for info to see what the difference is between a
    .243 and a .243 WIN. One of the hits was on the ezboard question
    that you asked. The response didn't tell me much.

Did you ever determine the answer? I just bought a H&R SB2 .243 WIN.
    I bought .243 ammo for some test shots but they also had straight .243
    ammo. The caliber stamped on the barrell is .243 WIN.

Appreciate any info you might have.

Thanks,

L. Dunn
    dreamcatcher@pinehurst.net

I suffer from occasional loss of mental stability, and become very violent with only slight provocation. The Veterans Administration has determined that both mental and physical harassment of my person may be hazardous to your health and well being. So stay away from my Donuts!!

BlackGUN

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/31/02 4:27:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Help with a AMMO question please
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    my Speer #11 Reloading Manual lists .243 bullets as being the same / interchangeable with 6mm, in 75-80-85-90-100-105gr bullet weights.

The only .243 load listing present IS '.243 Winchester', and in the descriptive paragraphs is the following, ".. The 243 Winchester is nothing more than the 308 Winchester necked down to take a .243" diameter bullet.".

The casing size specs listed are:
    OL-2.045"
    Case base dia -.473"
    Length to shoulder - 1.560"
    Length to base of neck - 1.804"

If someone is finding modern ammo on store shelves listed only as '.243', sounds to me like the manf. is just leaving off the 'Winchester' suffix.

(shrug) I don't know, could be wrong.

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/31/02 5:48:17 pm)
    I have several reloading data manuals. All give me the same info, But i'm not the smartest egg in the basket. So I depend on my family to guide me along in my senior years, heheheheheh! ie: "OH Baby, I can't do that any longer, I'm too old" (refering to Honey Do's Uh HUH!)
    I suffer from occasional loss of mental stability, and become very violent with only slight provocation. The Veterans Administration has determined that both mental and physical harassment of my person may be hazardous to your health and well being. So stay away from my Donuts!!

BlackGUN

Moskovskyya
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/31/02 6:19:24 pm)
    The .243 was developed for commercial use by Winchester in 1955. It is the combination of a necked down .308 case and a 6mm projectile. There is only one .243 cartridge currently available, and its a Win.

a81492
    (4/1/02 3:57:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del .243 question
    Mr. Dunn & BlackGun,

No difference......... one & the same.
    No hay diferente...... son iqual los dos cartuchos

best,
    joey

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/1/02 4:49:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: .243 question
    I once owned a lousy .243 model 99 - E Savage that required ultra small base reloading dies. If you tried to reload with regular .243 dies the cartridges wouldn't chamber in the rifle.

The sear failed and it discharge in the house while chambering a reloaded cartridge for fit. Got it repaired and sold that gun ASAP. It was a fairly new gun.

GG

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/1/02 6:12:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: .243 question
    Thanks guys! I'll pass this info along!

BlackGUN