help with a handi

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by hossus569, Jan 3, 2012.

1. hossus569

hossus569 New Member

Hi to all ! Im new to this forum but would like to ask a question concerning a handi rifle i recently purcshased. I had a competent gun smith hone the trigger mech.along with putting a 20 degree target crown on barrel. He got the pull weight down to aprox 20 oz. But now it missfires around 80% of the shots,seems the transfer bar safety dosn't function properly unless you slam the action extremly hard, any help would be great....thanks
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I would question the gunsnith. The rifle is obviously not safe and as far as function it needs to be right. Pull weight of 20 oz. Pretty light if you ask me.
  3. hossus569

hossus569 New Member

Thanks for the reply, as to guestioning the gun smith i have,he can' t understand what he could have done different to this one as opposed to the other 30to50 guns he has done in the past. The 20 oz trigger is actually a good all around trigger weight for me on a hunting weapon as i have a few guns with jewel triggers(3oz to 6oz) so i am proficient with a lght but firm trigger. I have saw a few post concering the transfer bar safety and misfires just tryingnto see if some oone has a fix.
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum maybe someone else can come up with something
  5. hossus569

hossus569 New Member

Thank you miss Beth for the welcome, still holding outfor a solution for my problem.......thanks again
  6. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Are you saying the transfer bar is not lifting into place between the firing pin and hammer, or what exactly do you mean by 'slam the action hard?' The correct way to do a trigger job on this rifle is to square/stone the hammer and sear engagement, lightly polish bearing surfaces and then its all springs.

I believe your gunsmith either did not put the transfer bar back correctly, and I am concerned he didn't function check the rifle before giving it back to you. Is this a professional shop or a kitchen table DIY-er?
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I have looked at those guns, but never worked on one. But they seem to be the same old single barrel shotgun action and I am not sure whether one should even try to take that pull down to the 20 ounce (1 1/4 pound) range. (For reference, the SA pull on a modern S&W revolver is about 2 3/4 pounds.) I suspect the gunsmith reduced friction by reducing mainspring tension, and the result is misfires, partly at least because some of the remaining hammer momentum is lost in the transfer bar.

Hossus, it might be possible to do what you want, but your references to Jewell triggers makes me think you may be trying to make that gun something it is not. It is a light, single shot hunting rifle, not a bench rest rifle.

Jim
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

do u think he should take it apart to see if everything is where it is suppose to be? But as you said the gunsmith did not fire it before giving it back?
  9. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

The hammer spring is not a coil spring, but a torsion-type wire spring. Many people wanting to lighten the trigger pull bend the tail of the spring which does reduce pull weight but can absolutely lead to misfires. The trigger return spring is a coil spring and no more than one coil should be removed from it.

The transfer bar can be installed incorrectly. When we do trigger work on the SB2 or Handi-Rifle we will not take it below 2 pounds. I am certain the original poster needs a new hammer spring, probably a new trigger return spring, and then a proper trigger job. I do not believe the 'gunsmith' has done '30 to 50' of these, and I do not understand why he just doesn't make it right.

If the original poster wants, we will make the gun 100% functional at 2 to 2.5 pounds trigger pull.