Help with derringer!!!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Jan Ayers, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Jan Ayers

Jan Ayers New Member

I have a derringer pistol that says, Hopkins & Allen Arms Co (Norwick, Conn. USA). It has an ivory handle and shoots 22 caliber. Can anyone tell me about this gun and what it's worth? It was my grandfathers. Thank You!!!
  2. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Jan Ayers, welcome to the Forum! Hopkins & Allen made a great many different types of guns over the life of the company (1870-something to 1917). We would need to see pictures of your gun to tell you anything about it, particularly its value. It's pretty easy to do if you follow the instructions in the "sticky" post at the top of this forum.

There is one type of H&A derringer that is fairly valuable. It looks like this:

http://peashooter85.tumblr.com/post/25687812509/pretty-little-thing-this-hopkins-and-allen-22

But the odds are that you have one of the far more common ones, like this:

http://collectorebooks.com/gregg01/amerigun/Lot-248.htm

HTH!
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

H&A made inexpensive, utilitarian firearms, and few of their guns have significant collector value today. One that does is the small .22 "parrot beak" single shot derringer, but we would need good pictures to determine if that is the model you have.

Jim
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Jan, is your gun a single shot, or does it hold several cartridges?

(H&A made several models of spur trigger revolvers, and some non-collectors will describe them as derringers)
  5. saa

saa New Member

What is the "collectors" definition of derringer, hrf?
    saa.
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

A very small single shot percussion or cartridge pocket pistol.
  7. saa

saa New Member

Ok, agreed. No agenda. :) I didn't know if there was something there I was missing.

I'm not up on H&A at all, so I'm guessing that these early spur triggers by them were a bit larger. A size that put them into that small, but not quite "pocket" size category.

Thanks for your response. I come here to find out what I don't know far more than to offer any pearls! I appreciate the knowledge.
    saa.
  8. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Not that much larger; here's an example:

http://jtjersey.com/Ranger/ranger.htm
  9. saa

saa New Member

Ok, it's a Colt New Line, basically. I'd agree that it's not "really" considered a derringer by most collectors, howver, you're right on the size. Just a bit larger. I think it's actually the cylinder type operation that takes it out of the derringer range for me.

Which is funny, because then what do we call the NAA line? I don't refer to them as derringers, even though they are very, very small (and getting larger!).
    saa.