help with drilling indentification

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by joseph15143, Oct 27, 2006.

1. joseph15143

joseph15143 New Member

I have a drilling that I have been unable to find any information on; and I am looking for a little help.
    The markings (as far as I can tell) are as follows.
    C. bartels & ruttner hofbuchsenmacher frankfurt, a/m & ze
    Markings around the proff mark are as follows
    la? krup's chr ? stah?

side by side 16 gauge over what I believe is aq 9 mm

thanks for any help
  2. Mark

Mark New Member

Joe,
    There were quite a few small independants in pre-war Germany turning out very high quality drillings. Most of these small gunmakers went the way of all flesh with the war, and never came back.
    There is all probability you have already identified this gun as well as anyone. I can't understand why, but there seems to be little collector interest in these guns. Most I have examined are outstanding, and even if you had unlimited money, you would have a hard time finding craftsmen to put one together today.

If I were you I would start by examining maps of pre-war Germany. Remember Germany's borders and names of towns has changed much in the last 80 years. Find the town or location, and start there.
    Good luck on this, and I hope you enjoy your drilling.
    Mark
  3. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

YO wetbak, sprechen zie Deutsch?? dummi kant speek Merigan!!

made in Frankfort Krups chrome steel barrel.
    I doubt itza 9mm(luger) prally 9x54R (rimmed) or somesuch creature. any decent gunsmith can tell U. an not collectible???? VEERY collectible in certain parts, and EZ to sell. chek it out, USE IT!!:cool:
  4. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

IB is right on here. And these are becoming fast collectors in certain circles and will soon follow as more find out just what they are. This idea has always interested me, and some have 4 barrels---a minor rifle caliber-major caliber with a double shotgun encasing them. I have yet to see one of poor quality---though I`m sure they exsist. Most are setup for scopes too.

Agree on the 9mm caliber too----big bullet!!!
    Don`t sell it, you won`t buy another, at least not for cheap.

LTS
  5. Mark

Mark New Member

I guess I would like to clarify my previous post.

When I said "collector interest" I was refering to interest akin to Colts, Winchesters, Mannlicher Schoenauers, Sedgley, etc. These are companies that have had quite a bit of research done on different models, and periods of manufacture are clearly identified.

In the case of pre-war drillings, there were quite a few small obscure makers that seem to have little or no documentation for them.
    As far as collectability, yes, they are SOOOOOO cool, but collector interest has not driven the price to any where near what they are worth.
    For instance, for less than $10,000, you can purchase an imaculate drilling, sidelock, pop-up rear sight, horn trigger guard, grip cap, and buttplate, relief engraving, side clips, etc. etc. etc. There is no way you will approach a "famous maker" gun with that many features for even double the price.
    You also have to remember this is a 3 barrel gun, and as such, when the barrels were soldered together, they were regulated to shoot to the same point of impact. "Famous maker" guns are not as difficult to produce.

Liktoshoot hit the nail on the head, "at least not for cheap". Today, you can buy a drilling for less than $5,000 (boxlock), that a guy could look at for hours wondering how it was done with pre-war technology.
    Mark
  6. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

2add2 da swampsquirrel's massage. da 4 barrel thingy is called a "vierling" vier beein 4 in krautville. an they r agin WAY KOOL. IB's idee ofa reel drilling woodB 20gage over 22hornet. and they made them!! thas rite, oh yeah!!!

acorse da ultimat woodB 410 over mos NE damting.(17hmr?)

NE1 up4 treeratz?:cool:
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

And they bring even bigger bucks if chambered for an American caliber such as .30-06 or .270.