Help with figuring out which press to buy...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by zachp, Apr 16, 2012.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I have a dillon 550 and I like manual index as I can rotate it slower and it doesn't spit powder out of the case.

But, for the price of a 550 you get a machine that is the mechanical the same as a Dillon 650.

The cost of die changing for the Dillon is $100 + for everything. It is much less for the Hornady.

Either one will last you a lifetime PLUS.
  2. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

550B owner here - Love it - LOVE IT!!! Ok got that out of my system.
    I have had several calls to Dillon not because the press was not functioning but just silly questions and they always are kind and responsive. They have sent out replacement parts when they were not even needed but to have as backup just in case :)
    You can get some really good deals on used plates, tool heads, dies. That will keep your cost down as you add calibers to the mix. I can do a caliber conversion on the Dillon in about 5-10 minutes depending.
    I like the manual index because it keeps me involved in the entire process.

I would gladly buy another and wish I had the money to do so.

That all being said I have seen the L-N-L in action and its also a great machine. Between everyone I know its about a 50/50 split over who uses what but those two companies own the market on progressive.
  3. zachp

zachp New Member

Well I decided on the Hornady LNL AP and ordered it last night with a few others extras. Hope to have it by this weekend and will report back with my findings. Thanks for all the help and comments on both sides. Guess I will find out if I made the right decision soon enough.
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Make sure to post some pic when you get it all set up.
  5. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

^^^ word

had mine for about 6 months and have no regrets... did the whole blue vs red thing and weighed both out, and believed that red was a much better value and a quality machine as well...

btw, you can manual index the LnL if you want...
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  6. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

You will never know if you made the right decision for you or not. You will only know if you are satisfied with your purchase.

I have had a single stage Lyman press since 1992 and have never wished I had more. Works great and does what it was designed to do.

If the press you are buying is designed to do what you want, then you will be satisfied, if not, "Oh well".
  7. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Congrats,
    Make sure and watch the enclosed Video and then watch it AGAIN. Setup is very easy. You will need at least one can of Hornady one shot gun cleaner and dry lubricant. DO NOT buy the one shot case lubricant it is not the same. Follow the video to the letter and feel free to PM me if you have questions. :)
  8. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

People will recommend what they own. I own a 550 and recommend it, but that doesn't make up it the best. The rule of thumb is:

1. No one bitchs about Dillon.
    2. Few bitch about LNL.
    3. Lots if people bitch about Lee.
  9. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yes, but the thing is that you are aware of it when you do it. Otherwise, if you don't manually adjust it it's pretty much failsafe.
  10. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Saweeeet. Pics brother, pics.
  11. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

You're right KR about more complaints about LEE, but just maybe there are more LEE presses out there to gripe about. I've noticed when pics of reloading benches are posted on showing presses even when it mentions Dillion, Hornady, or RCBS, many times there is a LEE in that pic somewhere? No other maker comes close on overall cost, so they may very well sell and have more presses out in operation. But as once stated, they use alot of nylon parts and are not made for those who are like a "bull in a china shop" or don't like to read! The regulars on here know I'm a LEE guy so I had to backup Dixieman a little.:D Oh, and by the way, Brisk44 say's LD is really a "Closet LEE Guy"!:eek:
  12. zachp

zachp New Member

BTW if anyone is in the market, I have looked at every supply house I could find and Midsouth Shooters Supply had the best price and very resonable shipping. $385 for the press and $17 shipping. The press should be at the house on Friday sometime, as soon as its set up I will post pics!
  13. zachp

zachp New Member

Well guys I finally got it set up and used it all day today. I have to say I LOVE it!!!! This thing is awesome. It was a pretty simple process to put together and set up. I have already run out of bullets to load that I have the shell plates for. The powder throw gives a consistent throw, the primer system works awesome. So far I have loaded about 150 223, 200 40, and 100 380. If anybody has any questions about this press dont hesitate to ask here or send me a pm.

Attached Files:

14. Evins74s

Evins74s Member

Nice setup. That is going to be my next purchase also. Just got to save $$$ for it first.
  15. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Looking good to me. Nice setup.

I spent a few hours this weekend at my dillon and pushed out 600 rounds of 9mm goodness. You will be asking yourself why did I not start reloading sooner.

Enjoy!