1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

HELP with German Silver plating

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by softwareguy, Feb 23, 2008.

1. softwareguy

softwareguy New Member

Is there anyone out there who can refer me to a smith or plater who can reproduce the copper / tin / zinc plating known as German or Nickel Silver that was used on the backstrap and triggerguard of some commercial 1851s? I have tried the usual (Turnbull, etc) with no luck. ANY help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Nickel silver can not be plated.
    I'm no Colt expert, but I believe the plating you are referring to is silver, not nickel silver. Silver plating is easy to do.
    Bill