HELP with German Silver plating

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by softwareguy, Feb 23, 2008.

1. softwareguy

softwareguy New Member

Is there anyone out there who can refer me to a smith or plater who can reproduce the copper / tin / zinc plating known as German or Nickel Silver that was used on the backstrap and triggerguard of some commercial 1851s? I have tried the usual (Turnbull, etc) with no luck. ANY help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Nickel silver can not be plated.
    I'm no Colt expert, but I believe the plating you are referring to is silver, not nickel silver. Silver plating is easy to do.
    Bill