1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Help with H&R 12 Gauge

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Niall, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Niall

Niall New Member

I have a top break H&R that I believe is pretty old. It looks very similar to the "pardner" style that I see on hr1871.com. On the side it says:
    PAT FEB 20&27 1900
    PAT MAY 14 1901

HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS
    WORCESTER MASS USA (There are some other and letters here but I can't make out anything except the last three which are "& 27")

On the top of the barrel is says "12 GA. Choke".

Behind the trigger guard it says "257836".

Can anyone help identify a model and year for this shotgun?
    Thank you.
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Niall,
    Welcome to the forum and the wacky, wonderful world of H&R.
    More than likely, you shotgun is the Model 1900 (from the markings) and will have a removable hinge pin. With that serial number, we can guesstimate it was made around 1908 - 1910 - no s/n to year records are available - so guessing based upon estimated production rate since intro in 1900-01.
    Check out the two pics below. First one should confirm it is a Model 1900 - with a view of the markings you can't read. Second is a view of the Model 1908 with a fixed hinge pin and snap off fore stock. Your piece may be a 1908, if pin is fixed in place - but with those markings I doubt it.

IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2315_3.jpg
  3. Niall

Niall New Member

It is indeed a removable hinge pin and those markings do seem to look like what I can't read on mine. Thanks a lot for the info!
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Niall,
    Glad to help...you're welcome. Thanks for thanking.
  5. toto3

toto3 New Member

Hello, I thing I have the same gun. It says:
    Harrington & Richardson Arms CO. Worcester Mass. U.S.A. Pat Feb 20 & 27 1900. The serial number is 32911.
    From what I have read that is probably early 1900's, is that correct?

I can't find any markings regarding the gauge, but looks like a 12. It has a removable pin, but it looks like it was forced out, and I can't get it through the barrel, but it fits through the stock ok. What is supposed to keep it in place? I am going to lightly sand it to get it to go through again, but I don't want it to fall out.

Thanks