Help with H&R 12 Gauge

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Niall, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Niall

Niall New Member

I have a top break H&R that I believe is pretty old. It looks very similar to the "pardner" style that I see on hr1871.com. On the side it says:
    PAT FEB 20&27 1900
    PAT MAY 14 1901

HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS
    WORCESTER MASS USA (There are some other and letters here but I can't make out anything except the last three which are "& 27")

On the top of the barrel is says "12 GA. Choke".

Behind the trigger guard it says "257836".

Can anyone help identify a model and year for this shotgun?
    Thank you.
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Niall,
    Welcome to the forum and the wacky, wonderful world of H&R.
    More than likely, you shotgun is the Model 1900 (from the markings) and will have a removable hinge pin. With that serial number, we can guesstimate it was made around 1908 - 1910 - no s/n to year records are available - so guessing based upon estimated production rate since intro in 1900-01.
    Check out the two pics below. First one should confirm it is a Model 1900 - with a view of the markings you can't read. Second is a view of the Model 1908 with a fixed hinge pin and snap off fore stock. Your piece may be a 1908, if pin is fixed in place - but with those markings I doubt it.

IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2315_3.jpg
  3. Niall

Niall New Member

It is indeed a removable hinge pin and those markings do seem to look like what I can't read on mine. Thanks a lot for the info!
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Niall,
    Glad to help...you're welcome. Thanks for thanking.
  5. toto3

toto3 New Member

Hello, I thing I have the same gun. It says:
    Harrington & Richardson Arms CO. Worcester Mass. U.S.A. Pat Feb 20 & 27 1900. The serial number is 32911.
    From what I have read that is probably early 1900's, is that correct?

I can't find any markings regarding the gauge, but looks like a 12. It has a removable pin, but it looks like it was forced out, and I can't get it through the barrel, but it fits through the stock ok. What is supposed to keep it in place? I am going to lightly sand it to get it to go through again, but I don't want it to fall out.

Thanks