Help with H&R 949

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by stumpbender, Oct 8, 2011.

1. stumpbender

stumpbender New Member

I acquired a H&R model 949, .22 caliber, 9 shot revolver recently, and I would like some info. on it if at all possible. I'm new to this forum, so here goes. Barrel has "Model 949, 22 cal" no other stamping. left side of frame "H&R inc. U.S.A", bottom strap of grip" AE78329". Most of the bluing is worn off, and it needs a couple of parts,(loading gate, detent , spring, center pin detent, spring), but I still shoot it, accurate as all get out. I only load 7 rounds or so, the empties zip out at me from the recoil, Yes I wear eye and ear protection. I was reading some of the other threads about 949's, and it doesn't have "forty niner" stamped anywhere. It is a direct hammer to cartridge firing system, there is a slot where the hammer strikes the cartridge. I've been thinking about having it re-blued, any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.:dontknow:
  2. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

Stumpbender,
    Numrich gun parts can help you out with most of the parts you need.
    Here is a link to the schematic for the 949.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=7932

I recently sold my spare loading gate to a gentleman who said Numrich didn't have them.
    I always call them, not just check online.
    They often have the parts I need but they are not shown on the website.
    Service guys are very helpful.
    Have your serial # handy when calling.
    AE prefix of serial # = 1968 manufacture
    Good luck!

Ask about this loading gate, it might work

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=1254750&catid=7905
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  3. stumpbender

stumpbender New Member

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. :D I'll check the links out, hope it's not too expensive to fix, because this guns a real shooter. Oh, and what do ya' know, made the same year I was born :lmao:
  4. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

they show 3 different gates, The one called the convex is the actual OE type gate, but the flat or the contoured style may work, You will just have to ask them

Part # 1254750 Loading gate, contoured, blue $ 6.60

Part # 269750 Loading gate, flat, $ 6.60
  5. stumpbender

stumpbender New Member

SWEET!! I was checking out Schludershots.com they want $21.95 for the same thing. Numrich is WAY cheaper!!! I'll probably order the contoured, since that's what it had already. If either will work, I'll get the one they have in stock, probably several, at that price. I will also check on a new cylinder while I'm there, mine has dings on the "star?", the part the lever assy. pushes against to rotate the cylinder. Is the lifter the part that keeps the hammer cocked? trying to learn my parts. Thanks Again, JamesJo, for all your help. I'm going to recommend this site to all my fellow gun nuts:):D
  6. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

Stumpbender,
    Probably won't have any luck on the cylinder, they seem to be sold out for almost all the H&R's.
    Might need to just watch the online auctions.
    In defense of Shludershots ( BTW thanks for mentioning them, I have never heard of them before today, always nice to have another source for H&R parts!! )
    The actual part you had originally from H&R is the Numrich # 1297670, which is called the convex loading gate, priced at 20.60, but listed as sold out.
    The other offerings, while much cheaper, are not the OE style gate, you will have to find out if they will fit.
    Not really any cheaper than the proper loading gate Shludershots is showing.
    I can't speak about the contoured part Numrich offers as I did not see an illustration, also don't know if the flat model will actually fit either.
    Give them a call though and ASK, be sure you ask if they happen to have a convex part on hand also. Just because it's not on the website, doesn't mean they don't have one.
    Me being me, I would bite the bullet and buy the part that I know was the original style, 20 bucks to me is cheap to have the correct part.
    Then again, I really don't have any just every day type carry guns, not that I won't shoot them, but they are more collector status than shooters.
    If I was buying parts for a revolver that has been well used, and was going to be my carry anywhere, any time trail/camping/fishing/etc piece, I would probably use any part that would work also, when there was a major price difference.
    Good luck, and please get back to me with how things worked out!
    Jim

ps here's a pic of my 949, not sure if it's ever been fired, really shows no evidence of it.
    I haven't fired it myself yet.

1980 Model 949

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  7. stumpbender

stumpbender New Member

Your right, $20.00 isn't a break the bank amount of money, especially since I, not to change the subject, bought a Metro Arms .45 ACP, 1911. I had an issue with the chrome flaking off the barrel at the ejection port, but they sent me a spankin new barrel. This fine weapon isn't my regular carry, although I still shoot it. It was for several years, but I upgraded to something with a little more punch. I also have a Taurus .44 mag. gonna hunt deer, and bear this year with it. I can afford to bide my time and find original, or as close to original parts as possible. I would also like to have it re-blued, it's more brown than blue. I noticed your 949 seems to have different stamping, hard to magnify the picture, must have to do with the later production date. I'm also a little curious about the large pin/button on the frame, just below the center pin, whats it for? I also notice that your hammer doesn't seem to widen out at the spot you place the thumb for single action firing. A very fine, well kept firearm, and no, it probably hasn't been fired. Cycle the hammer to make sure of proper cylinder alignment, worn parts like mine, will result in the hammer striking the cylinder, between the rounds.

Here are some pics of mine.

1968 H&R Model 949 (AE78329)

Attached Files:

8. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

Stumpbender,
    The button is a lock for the center pin,
    Your older model just has a spring and ball detent holding the center pin in. Don't know what year they added the button. Instead of just pulling the pin, you had to push the button to allow the ball to release the pin.
    I will have to dig out my 949, and see exactly what the stamping does say. Maybe tomorrow.
  9. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

stumpbender,
    Yes, stamping on barrel is a little different.
    Mine says Model 949
    22 long rifle
    Made in USA
    Seems that lettering is smaller than on your piece.
    Also, the hammer does not get wider as your model does.

Here's a couple pics.
    Looking at it a little closer today, I do think it may be unfired.
    I can't find any evidence of powder blast on cylinder or anywhere else.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011