help with identification of flintlock pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by TommyBullock, Dec 7, 2009.

1. TommyBullock

TommyBullock New Member

I know very little about this gun. It belonged to my great grandmother and was given to her on her wedding day in Greece by a family friend that was also Greek..... so I'm guessing that it may be from that area of the world.... but I have no idea really.

Any help with the identification of this gun would be awesome.

Thank You in advance for any help.

Attached Files:

• 024.JPG
      024.JPG
      File size:
      55.6 KB
      Views:
    • 028.JPG
      028.JPG
      File size:
      46.6 KB
      Views:
    • 045.JPG
      045.JPG
      File size:
      69.9 KB
      Views:
    • 050.JPG
      050.JPG
      File size:
      57.5 KB
      Views:
  2. TommyBullock

TommyBullock New Member

Okay well if no one knows what it might be or a time period would anyone one know of some good web sites where I can do research and find out some more info?

Any help would be greatly apreciated

Thank You
    ;)
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i am sure someone will get back to you, i have one very similar don't know if its real or a replica?
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

FWIW, I don't think it is a replica. I think it is Italian (Brescia area) from around 1710. Armi da Fuoco Italiane has pictures of very similar guns and the curled trigger is characteristic. I hesitate to assign a value, but if I am correct, I would say a minimum of $3000, and quite possibly much more.

If I had that gun, I would make every effort to have it appraised by a competent authority at Sotheby's or a museum. Your local gun shop or "the web" is just not the place to get accurate info on something like that.

Jim
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  6. red14

red14 Well-Known Member

Can you post a picture of yours, Beth?
  7. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Allright tommy that ons is a spanish made flitlock its not greek. Or it is a very good reproduction. However if the thing was given to your great grand mother I would guess it to be quite authentic and not a reproduction. There are certain ways you can tell and one is to look for the crafters mark somewhere on the firearm. You may actuall have to take some pieces off it to find ther crafters stamp. Very carfully take each plate off and look underneath them to see if there is a stamp under them. On the old spanich made flits and percussion firearms the stamp was usually place under the brass and not under the Iron.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, Big ugly,

Just curious, but what makes you think Spanish rather than Italian? Very similar work was done in both countries, of course.

Jim
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Red have all the xmas stuff out now don't know where it is-DUH
  10. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Well I may be wrong but to me the brass work looks a little off to me for it to be Italian. I Emailed some pics to my father and he says the same thing that the brass work looks to be Spain. But yes you are right both countries did similar work on the old pistols and rfles. Yet with out any prof marks there ireally is know way to tell. Another way to may lie in the barrel itself. Spain also used some hammered Damascus Steel barres in some of their muzzloaders too but these are becomming as scarce as hens teeth and worth an absolute mint to the collector.