Help with Iver Johnson revolver.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by cyknight, Jan 9, 2011.

1. cyknight

cyknight New Member

Hey all. Great reading and info. here, being a gunsmith, I'll help when I can. I am having trouble with an old Iver Johnson 3rd. Model Safety Hammer revolver, .32 cal. I've ruined two lifter/lever springs because I apparently am not getting it located properly. I attempted to put it between the lever and the lifter itself, by pulling out the lifter a bit. Is this correct? Does anyone have a picture of the spring in it's proper place. At $5+ from Numrich, it gets costly fast! A pic of the spring is attached (thanks to Numrich for the pic). Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Best regards,
    Dewey E. Boss
    Co-Owner/Gunsmith
    Diamond B Gunsmithing & Sales L.L.C.
    Salina Kansas.

Attached Files:

2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The loop goes around the pin in the lever (hand). The short end powers the lifter, the long end powers the hand. Depending on what kind of spring was in there, you might have to remove some metal from the sides of the lifter and the hand to get it to fit in. Once in, the loop closes up and keeps it in place.

Jim
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the side of the spring without the L shape goes in the hole near the top of the hand and the L goes in front of the lifter. could it be you are trying to put a large frame spring in a small frame. is this a five shot 32 (small frame) or a 6 shot (large frame).
    bill
  4. cyknight

cyknight New Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. Jim: I figured as much, though I tried it both ways. As I see it, the spring pushes the lifter and lever (hand) apart. The notch on the lifter engages the lip on the hammer. Makes sense; the darned spring doesn't seem to do that though. B.Goforth: I thought that the long side should go through the hole in the hand, however, none of the springs that I'd received were long enough to reach it, they always seem to be just a fraction of an inch too short. The revolver is a 5-shot model. Seems screwy that the spring WOULDN'T reach the hole, I figured that's what it's there for! :) I'll have to either find a misplaced spring, or order more. Thanks again for the help.