Help with ladder test.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ChuckR, Oct 30, 2011.

1. ChuckR

ChuckR Member

Hi guys,
    Taking the advice from this forum, I did a ladder test for my AR15 shooting .223 bullets. Here is the criteria that I followed.

1- All shooting was done at 50 yards.
    2- The 2 bullets I tested were Hornady 55grn FMJ and Hornady 55GRN soft tip.
    3- I made 2 sets of 10 rounds for both bullets.
    4- All casings, primers powder ect were the same.
    5- trying to find the sweet spot for both types of bullets.

The following are the results from each set of firings.

I have come to some conclusions on where the range of my powder testing should continue, but would like the thoughts of this board. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Chuck

Attached Files:

2. ChuckR

ChuckR Member

The fist pic is 1st rounf of FMJ
    The 2nd pic is the 2nd round od FMJ
    The 3rd pic is 1st rounf of Soft tip bullet
    The 4th pic is the 2nd round of Soft tip bullet.
    Sorry for second post, I can not find how to edit original. :0 :0
  3. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

If you are just looking for the "sweet spot" then look for the area where several of the powder charges that are close in weight hit in close proximity. The FMJ for example would be 24.0-24.2 and 24.8-25.0. Any bullet loaded in those ranges should be consistant. (In theory you should be able to load any combination of powder weights in that range and they will hit in a consistant group.) Next take a chronograph and see which of the two accurate loads is in the ft/s range that you want.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

IMO, you are testing far too close. you need to test at 100 yds at the very least. 200 yds is better. It takes at least 50 yds before most centerfire rifle projectiles 'go to sleep' and fly true. Its impossible to determine what loads are grouping together and what loads were placed where due to bullet yaw at 50 yds.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Also in taking a second look, Notice how you cant determine the rise in bullet impact consistent with an increasing charge weight. all the impacts are mixed up. It only solidifies my opinion that the rounds are still in yaw at 50 yds. Test at 100 yds and you should see the low charges hitting lower on the paper and the impacts climbing the paper as the chargeweight, and thus the pressures, increase. If you arent see that on paper youre not shooting far enough.
  6. ChuckR

ChuckR Member

Thanks guys,
    After posting, I read some more on ladder testing in JLAs site, I figured I was shooting to close to make sense of what really was happening. So I will make up another set of test rounds and fire them at 100 yards. Unfortunetly I do not have access to a 200 yard site.

Chuck
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Where you at? If youre close you are welcome to come and use my range.
  8. ChuckR

ChuckR Member

Thanks JLA,
    Unfortunetly I live i Michigan :( :(

Chuck
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

That sucks. Weve had a string of ladder test perfect mornings here lately.
  10. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I'll second what Josh said. Definetely need to get at a very min 100yrds. 200-300 is best. And I would work up a full 20 rounds with each bullet. Where are the pics of the AR ?? :confused: :D