Help with mossberg 500

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Reckless, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Reckless

Reckless New Member

I bought a mossberg 500 a couple years ago with the intent of customizing it. First and only firearm purchase i have made. Been surfing the web for help on what parts our the best to get. My basic plan is to purchase one of those collapsible 6 positions stocks from www.Promag.com or Knoxx Specops stock. Was going to add a surefire light on the front.(from the reviews sounds like surefire is basically the best)

Now the question. Does anyone have any recommendations for quality mossberg stocks or preferences which stock is most comfortable or is it personnel preference most of the time. What other accessories would be recommended when enhancing the mossberg 500. I am not really sure how to go about or what should be purchased. Should I consider buying a heat shield?

Any information would be much appreciated.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

3. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

I have a Knoxx Spec Ops stock on my mossy and love it. It reduces recoil as advertised and is very comfortable. The only problem with it is that the pistol grip makes reaching the tang safety a little awkward. As far as the heat shield, I have never needed one. Unless you plan on shooting a whole lot of slugs in a very short period of time, they are for looks. The most important thing is to put what YOU want on it. Just about everything you can find at brownells is quality. I will advise agianst putting a side sling adapter between the stock and receiver when using the Knoxx Stock. because of the way it absorbs recoil, it can cause the side sling adapter to recoil into your face/mouth. It happened to me.
  4. scsonarc

scsonarc New Member

I would stay away from pistol grip stocks with the Mossberg because of the aforementioned problem reaching the safety. Might want to try some ghost ring sights and a side-saddle that carries 4-6 extra rounds. You can reload and never take the gun from your shoulder. Heat shield is mainly cosmetic but, hey they look good. The sure fire is a quality product.
  5. Rhoades30

Rhoades30 New Member

currently Twin lake,moving back up north soon as s
    where are all these safety locations keep coming up? arent they all located on the TOP of the reciever for the mossy 500 like it is on my mossy 500at? granted the "at" stands for the configuration I believe, (i could be wrong, I havent researched it but it seems unlikely they would move the safety on the same model of gun) and if safety is on top of reciever a pistol grip would not interfear with it. anyways theres another thread about the mossy 500 that we have been discussing the 6 position stocks and accessories, i believe the thread is called mossberg 500 theres some cool pictures on it to check it out help give you some ideas
  6. petesusn

petesusn New Member

Yea, I've got a pistol grip stock on my 500 and have no problem with the safety. This isn't the only time I've heard this. Not sure what people are talking about.