HELP WITH NEW SPRINGFIELD ARMORY MIL SPEC!!

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 8, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Dague
    (12/31/02 12:07:37 am)
    Reply HELP WITH NEW SPRINGFIELD ARMORY MIL SPEC!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SPRINGFIELD ARMORY MIL SPEC .45, BRAND NEW, TOOK TO RANGE TODAY, STARTED OFF OK, THEN JAM, I PUT A LOADED MAG INTO GUN, RELEASE SLIDE, AND IT GOES ABOUT HALFWAY, AND JAMS. THIS HAPPENED ABOUT 5 OR 6 TIMES. IS THIS NORMAL? GUY SAID I NEED TO "BREAK GUN IN" ALSO THE JAMS HAPPENED ALMOST ON ALL 1ST AND LAST ROUNDS IN THE MAG.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/31/02 7:54:08 am)
    Re: HELP WITH NEW SPRINGFIELD ARMORY MIL SPEC!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dague, Welcome to TFF

Sounds to me like you should try different magazines. A cheap mag is often the problem of these guns doing what you describe. Try a Wilson or Colt mag.
    Don't blame yourself or anyone else for your mistakes or the downfalls of the USA. BLAME PRESIDENT BUSH.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/31/02 10:06:40 am)
    Reply Re: HELP WITH NEW SPRINGFIELD ARMORY MIL SPEC!!
    Hi Dague.....welcome to TFF.

Sounds like a magazine problem to me too.....BUT, it would also help to know what type of ammo you're using. Round nose, semi-wadcutters, hollowpoints?

Also, here's a check you can make. Take the magazine out of the gun, lock the slide back. With the tip of your little finger, run it over the feed ramp.....any roughness or burrs there? Any burrs or sharp edges at the barrel chamber entrance?

Let us know.

Dague
    (12/31/02 4:04:50 pm)
    Reply no..
    there isnt any rough spots on the feed ramp or the chamber\barrel lip. i was using 230gr ball ammo. american eagle brand. but i did notice after shooting the feed ramp had a lot of soot on it, and was sort of shiny where the bullets rubbed against. ANyway i bought a new chip mccormick 8 round mag, and i loaded it, and ran bullets through the slide, all were ok, but the one i actually shot was the 7 round factory mag, im giong to try the chip mccormick mag soon, it seems to feed fine but im gonna try and test it w\live fire.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/31/02 5:36:09 pm)
    Reply Re: no..
    Sounds like a quality mag should end your problem.

If, even with a good mag, you have a problem with semi-wadcutters or hollowpoints, you may have to polish the feedramp.

If that proves necessary, c'mon back and we'll tell you how. (And no, you don't use a Dremel tool!)

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/31/02 6:02:47 pm)
    Re: no..
    Dremel...nope I use a 9" Wildcat grinder!!!!!!!

Important Info For ALL Americans
    Boomatic
    *Ne'er-Do-Well Wannabe Junior Non-Staff Moderator of the Test Forum*

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/31/02 7:00:01 pm)
    Reply Re: no..
    @ boomatic, He's a HOOT...

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

Dague
    (1/4/03 7:59:33 pm)
    Reply problem solved....
    took gun to range again, it continued to jam with the 7 round factory mag, so i tried out the 8 round chip mccormick mag, thru the rest of the 2 boxes, NO JAMS!
    so it was the magazine after all....

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (1/4/03 9:35:24 pm)
    Reply Re: problem solved....
    Rule #1... Always use good mags. Even some new factory mags can have problems.

Test all mags at the range before carrying them for personal protection or competition.

Glad the problem was only minor.

Now..... how does that 1911 shoot ????

Dague
    (1/5/03 2:34:32 am)
    Reply 1911...
    it shot pretty good, the bulk of the shots formed a tight group about 2" down and 2 1\2 inches to the left. and the recoil was heavy, but not as bad as i thought (first time shooting a semi automatic pistol in my life) i know the .45 wouldnt be a good choice for the beginner but it's fun. and i have VERY small hands ( i dont know why) and it still felt pretty good in my hands. as for the magazines, i feel like tossing the 7 rounder in the trash, but ill see if i can maybe get a few bucks for it, to go toward another 8 round chip mccormick mag. thanks for all ya'll help!

JayL
    (1/5/03 11:13:55 am)
    Reply Re: 1911...

Quote:
    i know the .45 wouldnt be a good choice for the beginner but it's fun. and i have VERY small hands ( i dont know why) and it still felt pretty good in my hands.

WHAT!?!?! A 1911 not a good choice!?!?!?! Seriously, IMNTBH opinion, you could scarcely have made a better choice. Millions of men and women over the years learned to shoot handguns with ol' slabsides in the military.

For function, knockdown, reliability (and as an object of worship and adoration <grin> ) there is nothing finer. Each new 1911 will have it's own quirks to work out, and very few of them will perform at their optimum till you have about 500 rounds through them.

My suggestion is, shoot lots, start reloading (if you don't already) so you can shoot even more, clean it well after each firing session, and replace the recoil spring about every 2,000 rounds for the full size version, and have fun!

BTW, welcome to the venerable order of worshippers of the finest design of John Moses Browning!
    Jay L

"Move, Shoot, Communicate!"

Dague
    (1/5/03 4:44:03 pm)
    Reply yea...
    recoil is a bit much for a beginner, but its a great gun.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (1/5/03 4:58:44 pm)
    Reply Re: yea...
    Just remember, we were all beginners when we started shooting.

Just keep practicing. The recoil will be hardly noticeable.

Im3rd
    (1/6/03 9:06:45 pm)
    Wilson mags have solved feeding problems I've had with several 1911's. I like the 7 rounders myself. I even have an old unthroated Argentine Sistema beater which feeds hollowpoints perfectly after I put in a Wilson mag and a new Wolf spring. (Well, later on I put in a new extractor too, but it was feeding fine with the old one)

No, I don't work for Wilson I just like his magazines. But if you're having good luck with the McCormick by all means stick with it.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/7/03 10:25:57 am)
    Im3rd.....welcome to TFF....and especially to the 1911Nuts Forum. Love those old Systemas. I think they're the best bargain in the 1911 world.

Dague.....45ACP is a big, powerful, man-stopping cartridge, and recoil can be a problem until you learn how to make it work for you.

One of the beauties of the M1911 design is that the recoil is very controllable. Here's how (this is assuming that you're right handed):

Take your empty gun in your right hand and point it at a target. With your left hand, grab your right wrist, so that you can't flex it. Keep your elbows loose as a pivot point. Squeeze the trigger (you can even say "Bang or "Pow" if you prefer)....pretend the gun is recoiling....let it swing upward in an arc, keeping the wrist rigid and using your elbows as a pivot point. When the gun reaches the top of it's recoil arc, let it come down in the same arc 'till you have a sight picture again, then "Bang or Pow" again. You may want to do this in private....unless you have a high tolerance for public ridicule....

When you go to the range try using this technique of letting the recoil work FOR you, not AGAINST you.

If you start to get serious about shooting your 1911, you might want to do some wrist-strengthening excerises or wear a wrist brace.

When my wrist got strong enough so that I didn't have to hold it with my left hand, my preferred shooting position was to cup my left hand under my right hand.....but that's just my personal preference.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/7/03 12:12:37 pm)
    Re: HELP WITH NEW SPRINGFIELD ARMORY MIL SPEC!!

Quote:
    When my wrist got strong enough so that I didn't have to hold it with my left hand, my preferred shooting position was to cup my left hand under my right hand.....but that's just my personal preference.

you can go blind doing that Rick
    Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

Im3rd
    (1/7/03 5:23:53 pm)
    Thanks for the welcome Xracer. I agree about the Sistemas being the best buy on the used pistol market. I've had several of them and all were excellent shooters. Quality of manufacture was pretty close to that of pre-war Colts. Also had a Ballester-Molina I liked. But that's just me I suppose, I just like old guns in general.

noital2
    (1/11/03 11:56:50 pm)
    Reply Better trot over to brianenos.com
    and learn the Modern Isocoles stance, bud. The cup and saucer hold went out about 40 years ago. The Weaver replaced it, but all the winners of the "combat" style matches have been using the Modern Isocoles for about a decade or more.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/12/03 9:11:12 pm)
    Re: Better trot over to brianenos.com
    So new...and yet so rude!!!!...dude...

Fripp and Eno...Fripp and Eno...

2003 Rose Bowl Champions!!!!
    Boom-a-tic
    *Ne'er-Do-Well Wannabe Junior Non-Staff Moderator of the Test Forum*