Help with rare Marlin 100 Rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Mathias, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Mathias

Mathias New Member

Hello,

Decided to try posting this here. I've posted on a few other forums including the marlin collectors, ********* auctions and I've talked with Marlin themselves but noone seems to know a value for this rifle. It is a .22 s, l, & lr single shot, bolt action gallery gun. According to the photocopy of page 632 that Marlin sent me from the book Marlin Firearms, A History of the Guns and the Company that Made Them by Lt. Col. William S. Brophy, it is one of 500 made. I would like to know the year(s) that it would have been made and if anyone would know a value. The gun only has a few worn spots and looks like it has most of the original blueing on it. It's hard for me to tell since Im not an appraiser but it looks to be in great shape. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have included pictures and a quote from the book by William Brophy.

John

"Any rifle used in a shooting gallery, rightfully, can be called a gallery rifle. But the Marlin gallery rifle is unique in that it was specially designed for use in a shooting gallery.
    The Marlin shooting gallery rifle was a standard Model 100, caliber .22 bolt action single-shot rifle having an unusual fired-cartridge-case ejection system. Instead of the usual system of the fired cartridge case being extracted from the chamber and then ejected from the gun, this rifle had a hollow tube extending from below the front end of the receiver to about 6 inches forward of the front end of the stock.
    Upon extraction of the fired cartridge case from the chamber, the case would drop down into the long tube. When the rifle was tipped forward, the empty would then roll out of the tube and forward of the shooting gallery counter. That way there would be no empties around the feet of the shooters or on top of the counter.
    A band with an eye in it was attached around the barrel and tube. In use, the rifle was secured to the counter by a chain fastened to the eye on the band. Only 500 of these special rifles were assembled. Because they were single-shot, they were not popular among shooting gallery proprietors, who wanted repeaters so their customers would shoot more shots and pay more money. They are now scarce and are seldom identified correctly. Most owners think that the gun had some kind of tubular magazine and that parts are missing, but it is a unique Marlin single-shot shooting gallery gun."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]