Help with rifle id

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by VTennant, Jun 7, 2008.

1. VTennant

VTennant New Member

I've been given my grandfather's rifle and would like to know more about it. I know very little about guns so please have patience with my terminology.

It is a single shot with a 20" barrel and is about 36" from end to end. The only markings are "30-30" on the top of the barrel near the stock, a small mark followed by "Pat. Oct. __7th, 79.-" in block letters/numbers under the lever action (the day is right where the lever meets the gun and is worn so I can't tell if there is another number in front of the 7), and some numbers engraved in a different script on the metal attached to the stock toward the shoulder from the lever. It looks like there might have been six numbers total, the last two of which are the only clear ones "1 9" but I can make out what I think is a 5 and maybe a 4 of a 9 in front of them. Reading from the lever to the shoulder it would be " __ __ 5 4/9? 1 9" but in an almost handwriting-like script.

The lever itself is an elongated "S" shape. I couldn't figure out how to insert pics from my computer so I attached them. Can anyone tell me any more about this rifle?

Attached Files:

2. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

1885 Winchester High Wall
    BertH is the expert on them.
  3. VTennant

VTennant New Member

4. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Vtennant, Bert said to email him! He'll want specific pics and other details. He's working on a book for 1885's.
    Win1885@msn.com