The Firearms Forum banner

Help with Ruger Old Army load data

Tags
ruger
5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Grizzley1 
#1 ·
I recently bought a new Ruger Old Army in Stainless. Can anyone tell me the range of xxx powder or Pyrodex P that can be safely used in the Old Army? From minimum load to maximum load information is what I am after.

Also, can anyone tell me if black powder and Pyrodex is corrosive in its unburned state, or does it only become corrosive after its been burned??

Last thing.......I was told that 50% Beeswax and 50% crisco melted together makes an excellent lube for covering the chambers after loading. Has anyone tried that mixture??

Thank you fellas..............snookers

#2 ·
POWDER CHARGE It is safe to use as much Black Powder as the chamber will hold, leaving room for the bullet. This maximum loading is not usually the most accurate loading, however. A good starting accuracy load, using a pure lead .457" diameter ball, is 20 grains of FFFg and sufficient filler (corn meal is frequently used as a filler material) to seat the ball approximately 1/16" below the chamber mouth. You may find that some minor adjustment of this charge upwards or downwards is more accurate in your "Old Army." Filler is not required and can be completely dispensed with if the powder charge takes up at least 1/2 of the cylinder.

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/oldArmy.pdf

#3 ·
Crisco and beeswax does work for covering the chambers but it's a lot less messy if you use lubed felt wads under the ball.

And no, black powder is not corrosive before you fire the gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.