1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Help with value of Winchester Model 70 pre-war

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by harryhaller, Jan 4, 2010.

1. harryhaller

harryhaller New Member

Hello. I am looking for some help. I would like to sell a pre-war Winchester Model 70 30-06 rifle (marked Model 70-.30 Gov't 06-) with sn 98xxx (1948?). It has a checkered walnut stock (kind of an arrow patter--pointed on one end with notch or V at the other) and is in excellent condition (as per appraiser 25 yrs ago). There is no damage to barrel or stock and the blueing is perfect as far as I can see. It has a Weaver sight. It has been in the family for at least 60 yrs. The values I see have a very wide range and I'd like to get a better idea of its actual retail value today, as I need to sell it. Thanks, and let me know if I've left out information or you need photos.
    HH
  2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

On this site PITCHERS are everything. Welcome to the site HarryHaller!
    You will find many experts on this forum that can answer most any question you might have. I am not one of those but someone will come along soon I am sure.
  3. jondar

jondar New Member

I have one in .220 Swift. It is in comparable shape to yours. Everything original. Barrel still in good shape, the older man I bought it from said he used lower (3500 fps) velocity loads while he had it and I've done the same.
    I try to keep up on what my guns are worth and I think mine at this time would bring $700-$800 which is a realistic price.
  4. muddober

muddober Active Member

I humbly disagree. A nice clean pre war Swift will bring $1,500.00+ and your 06 if all original in near new condition meaning no extra holes or recoil pad will bring better than a $1,000.00. The reason the difference in price is that the 30-06 is probably the most common caliber of all and not as rare as the Swift.

Ron
  5. harryhaller

harryhaller New Member

Thanks folks. Yeah, I've heard the 30-06 is more common, but I guess I was hoping that the age and condition would translate into a higher price. The blueing really is about 100% and the stock is excellent, with original finish. As i mentioned, it has been in my family for at least 60 years, and it has never been tampered with.
    Thanks, HH
  6. harryhaller

harryhaller New Member

7. harryhaller

harryhaller New Member

PS When I originally typed "pre-war" I meant "pre-64". It is a 1948.
    HH
  8. Popeye

Popeye New Member

From the Thirtieth Edition of the Blue Book of Gun Values.

MODEL 70 STANDARD GRADE (1946-1963 PRODUCTION)

Standard Calibers
    100% - $1450
    98% - $1200
    95% - $1100
    90% - $900
    80% - $650
    70% - $550
    60% - $500
  9. harryhaller

harryhaller New Member

Anyone else able to weigh in? I know that book value and retail/auction value vary quite a bit.
    Thanks, HH
  10. williamd

williamd New Member

Around here you would be looking at $1200 to $1400. Maybe a bit more if a collector wanted it badly.

You sure the stock is not refinished????
  11. harryhaller

harryhaller New Member

Absolutely not. Guaranteed! Just very well maintained and never abused,