Help with WWII Berretta

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by PAHunter62, Oct 10, 2010.

1. PAHunter62

PAHunter62 New Member

I have a WWII Beretta that I would like to know the value of.

The Serial number is F23926, and is stamped with a 1942 and P.SF. behind the left grip and under the slide.

It's a .380 ACP and is in working condition.

Unfortunately, it must have layed in something along the way, which corroded the left side of the slide.

Some pictures ... I will also post a pic with the markings on the inside of the grips. Not sure if they matter.

The good side:
    Baretta 003.jpg

Baretta 005.jpg

The Bad Side:
    Baretta 006.jpg

Markings Behind the left Grip:
    Baretta 007.jpg
  2. PAHunter62

PAHunter62 New Member

and the inside of the grips:

Baretta 001.jpg

Baretta 002.jpg
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

With the damage to the slide value is not gonna be much. These guns dont hold a high value anyhow. What you have is a Beretta M1934 Or M1935 pending on the caliber. The 1934 is a 380 and the 1935 is a 32. In NIB these things are only worth mabbe 600, slightly more if it was captured with the paperwork. That is for the War era guns anyway. That slide damage is horrible, I am thinking mabbe 50 on value. You can piece it out however for more money. Grips, Mag, ETC. Now let me ask you this, does the slide still operate? Of course it dont. After a revue of the pics LOL. Your Beretta is the same year as mine, I would be interested in the piece if you would like to sell. I would advise getting another independant to value the gun, and drop me a line.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i would think the value would be around 100 dollars for parts.
  5. PAHunter62

PAHunter62 New Member

Yes, the slide damage is bad, but it is on the surface only. It must have sat in something for a while.

It is a .380 model. I have shot it a few times, the gun is in working condition.
  6. johnlives4christ

would be a good throw down or trunk gun
  7. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Please don't use the term "throw down gun."
  8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Iwould try to find a replacement slide. There are several places that specialize in old gun parts.
  9. johnlives4christ

why?
  10. K75RT

K75RT Member

$
  11. K75RT

K75RT Member

Throw down is a derogatory term the police use for a gun that is used to justify a questionable shooting....
  12. johnlives4christ

yep thats what it is.
  13. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Finding a slide for that may be tricky, However there are a few places out there where you can find them. My best advise for you is to buy another Beretta either in 32 or 380 and use that one as parts. You can pick them up around 300 400 pending on condition and year. Good thing is all the parts are interchangeable between the 32 and the 380, Grips, Frame, Trigger internals, ETC. Its not a trow away by no means. Especially it beeing a 42. Here is a pic of mine and it is a 32 cal. from 1942

Attached Files:

14. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Two comments:

FWIW, PSF means "Polvere senza fumo" (powder without smoke), the standard Italian smokeless powder proof.

Second, I looked at the frame and then I looked at the slide. Then I asked whatinhell the Italians made that frame out of? The slide is about gone, yet the frame looks like it came out of the factory this morning. It looks like they were making something close to stainless steel in the middle of WWII. Pretty advanced. And if they used that material for the frame, why not the slide also?

(BTW, "throwdown gun" may be an insult to police, but they invented the term. The practice is prohibited now so of course it is never done, but the idea was that an officer involved in a questionable shooting would "throw down" a cheap and untraceable gun beside the victim to "prove" the victim was armed and hence justify the shooting.)

Jim
  15. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Jim I wondered that my self, I took min out and broke it down and I did the same with the wifes, Hers is WWII also but from 1945 and the slides are the same, They are heavy also but are discolored some, I was wondering if they were finised diffrent than that of the frames. If you look at the pic of mine you can see the frame is more glossey than that of the slide, its the same with my wifes. Tis something to look into I think, If the fisidh is diffrent then that may contibute to the dammage his has to that frame, other than the fact it looks like its been crushed some how towards the nose of it. What you think Jim, if not diffrent metal then mabbe diffrent type or process of blueing?