Help

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by larrydickman, May 30, 2009.

1. larrydickman

larrydickman Member

I think I screwed up. I loaded 200 45 autos 230 grain lead bullets. The book called for 5.3 to 5.8 grains of unique. I set my scale and my mind just slipped when I set the small weight to 2 grains instead of .2 grains. So my load is almots 7 grains of Unique under a 230 grains lead bullet. I can pull the bullets with a pair of electrical cutters and then file off the extruding notch. But I was wondering is this would be a +p type load or unsafe before I spend 2 hours reworking the loads? Also if anyone has any ideas on how to remove the bullets I would appreciate it. Thanks.
  2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Get a kinetic bullet puller and take them apart. That way you won't ruin your bullets. The bullet puller will capture both the bullet and the powder for re-use, so nothing is lost but your time. I wouldn't fire those .45 rounds that are overloaded like those are.:eek:
  3. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

+1

Latigo
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have to go with snakedriver here. Never exceed maximum loads, it's not worth a burst barrel.
  5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

6. Definitely pull those slugs, Larry! Seven grains of Unique would be a dangerous overload. A good quality pistol like the Colt or Kimber might handle the overpressure without catastrophic failure, but at the very minimum it would be very hard on the gun. I agree with the rest here. Get yourself a kinetic bullet puller. They aren't expensive and work quite well.
  7. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Pull the bullets...I have a kinetic bullet puller and it takes a little time to get the bullet out...just sit in front of tv and do it.

Under no conditions should you shoot those loads...you WILL damage something...you will build that pressure up way too much...It is not meant for those hot loads.

J
  8. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Get yourself a kinetic puller and get to work, you've lost nothing but your time. You should be able to reuse everything as long as you haven't ruined the slugs by over crimping.
  9. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  10. larrydickman

larrydickman Member

Thanks. I stopped in gander mountain and picked on up. It works well but does take a bit of time. I now need to get a digital scale.
  11. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

12. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

"Pull the bullets...I have a kinetic bullet puller and it takes a little time to get the bullet out...just sit in front of tv and do it."

jdon, do you have an anvil in front of your tv??:D

And yes Tim, that's a kinetic bullet puller.

Latigo
  13. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yes, it coverts the kinetic energy of smaking it on a solid surface to pull the bullet.

"Kinetic energy is the energy of motion. An object which has motion - whether it be vertical or horizontal motion - has kinetic energy. There are many forms of kinetic energy - vibrational (the energy due to vibrational motion), rotational (the energy due to rotational motion), and translational (the energy due to motion from one location to another). To keep matters simple, we will focus upon translational kinetic energy. The amount of translational kinetic energy (from here on, the phrase kinetic energy will refer to translational kinetic energy) which an object has depends upon two variables: the mass (m) of the object and the speed (v) of the object."

:)
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Before you buy that digital scale, take a look at the magnetic scales first. They work great and I love mine. An old carpenter rule is "measure twice, cut once", it works in re-loading too! I also check every 10th rd. for acuracy, just to be sure.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  15. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

PULL PULL PULL. just a tip on the kinetic pullers, always always check to ensure that the end cap is screwed on tightly and always use the collet provided with the tool. If the cap works loose, the puller isn't as effective and you'll create "bounce" in the cap end. There are people that use shell holders in place of the collets, now, with that being said, I've only seen one case documented where this caused a problem, but it was one helluva problem, the primer discharged when the shell moved within the shell holder and blew everything to smithereens.
    I've never had any problems with my kinetic puller, I keep a 2x6 chunk mounted on the opposite corner of my bench just for it. As with any reloading tool, it's wise to use it properly and as per manufacturer instruction. ( even if the collets rubber band can be a pain in the butt )