1. Jrucker86

Jrucker86 New Member

My husband's dad found an old American Bulldog pistol in the walls of their old house that was built back in the 1800's. it isn't a revolver it is cast iron but it has been fired before it has a firing pin and everything. we have done many searches on this and can't find anything. can someone please help me to figure out how much it is worth and exactly when it was made and what it was used for.
    Thanks
    Jennifer
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Firearms forum Jennifer!
    It sounds like a very interesting find that was found. I'm no expert by any means but does the gun have any markings or anything on it? Can you post some pictures of the gun?
    And also posting it to Technical questions forum might get you more sought after answers. However there are a lot of knowledgeable people here and I'm sure someone will be able to help you out on this GREAT find!!!
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Jennifer pictures indeed would help

close ups each side from above and with the hammer in differing positions but do check it is NOT LOADED before you do ..

sorry if thats too obvious but some folks finding guns have accidents and so i say it rather than not...

if a name or any words are visible please include that in your next post too

we'll do what we can , some cluey folks here..

cheers

jack
  4. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Excellent advice above but cannot say it enough, PICTURES and the more pictures the better. Also ANY markings at all even if you think they might not mean much, they very well could. As to checking for being loaded, OI would be willing to bet thaat 80% or more of the old firearms found in old houses are loaded.
  5. Gatofeo

Gatofeo New Member

Remote Utah desert, separated from Oblivion by a s
    Sounds like you may have found a vintage cap pistol. Many were made of cast iron.
    The most collectible ones had anti-Chinese or anti-Black phrases cast into the metal. Rather than search under regular firearms, try searching the net under vintage cap pistols.
    And yes, pictures would be a great help. You may have found a real firearm, or it may be a cap pistol. Show us some photos, next to a ruler for scale, and get closeups of any markings and features.
    If it's a cap pistol, it could be worth more than a cheap handgun of the same era.