1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

helping prairy dogs go 'pop'

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by matty, Apr 21, 2005.

1. matty

matty New Member

i am looking at getting a single shot break action rifle in .223 for varmint hunting. what is a good bullet to make the little bastards realy go 'pop'?

i am looking for something that will throw a good red mist into the air. help make varmint hunting more of a spectator sport now.lol :D :) :D :) :D
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I know you'll probabally want hollow points...If not, these are darn potent for .223

223 LAKE CITY XM193 55GR
    FULL METAL JACKET U.S.G.I. LAKE CITY AMMO

AmmoMan website link

Crpdeth
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I believe this is what you are looking for. A military FMJ bullet will just go through them. This one 'explodes' on contact. Hornady V-Max bullets built specifically for varmits!

Hornady V-Max Bullets
  4. Icon-oclast

Icon-oclast New Member

Y, the Hornadys are pure "heck" on small varmints! I tried them in my Swift and they performed well terminally (when I kept the velocity down). Crows disappear in a puff of feathers and ground hogs are DRT. Some day, me and the Swift have to go visit some of you Western guys. Be nice to have more than one target per set up!
  5. matty

matty New Member

yeah, you'll have to come over this way some time Icon. you won't belive the field that i am working right now. usually you hit a field one day, then another the next and so on. coming back to the first field a couple of days later. NOT WITH THIS FIELD!!! i have been working it for the last month and have been working it the last 4 days straight with either my buddy or my wife, and we have seen no difference.

we go out for about 3 hours a day at least, longer if we can. on friday alone, after my wife got home from work, we went out and got over 100 each. and that was in about 4 hours. the farmer is real cool and has been giving us free ammo every time (.22). i haven't even gone to another field in a while now, this one just keeps producing.

it just sucks that we have only about a month left to shoot befor the crops get too tall. but come june and the first harvest of grain, you get about another 2 weeks of shooting in. and they are REALLY stupid then. you just whistle and you are sure to get some to stand up.

it is just awsome this year!!! (for me, not the farmers :D )