The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hembrug 1918

21K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Contenderizer 
#1 ·
Hello I have a very old rifle. I am not entirley sure what it is. I know it dates back to WWI or WWII. On bolt casing it says Hembrug 1918. Then on top of the rifle it says 7084M. Then on the bolt it says 9084. And there are 84's stamped all over it. It was left behind when my dad passed away and it looks like he has done some research on it or knew something and he says its a Dutch Mannlicher 6.5x53R Carbine, Hembrug 1918.

#12 · (Edited)
Well, I'm not a Dutch rifle expert ( not much of an expert on any thing anymore, I used to be the pro from Dover on Huey's and Cobras, but so long ago :eek: ) but I think that wood on yours is an add on. for what reason, don't know. The numbers ? the 4 digit numbers is the date of manufacture, yours was manufactured in 1918, others shown were made in 1916, 1920 ETC: In spite of the minor wood addition you have a Model 95 Dutch Mannlicher carbine made by Hemburg.. Any one else with more valid or better information?

#13 ·
It is a Dutch Artillery Carbine, made by Hembrug Artillerie - Inrichten (the Dutch state arsenal) in 1918. I don't know the reason for the wood covering the magazine, but it might have been because those carbines were carried across the back while the artilleryman was serving the gun, and the wood prevented the magazine from chafing his back.

For a small country, the Dutch made/adopted an amazing variety of carbines, at least 12, plus other models for the KNIL (Koninlijk Nederlands Indisch Leger - Royal Dutch Indies Army). All were based on the Model 1895 Mannlicher and fired the 6.5x53R cartridge also used by Rumania. Loading was by the typical Mannlicher en-bloc clip which entered the magazine and remained until empty at which point it dropped out the bottom.

Jim

#15 ·
Oh, boy! It is definitely of interest to collectors of Mannlicher rifles and of Dutch arms, but there are not many of either. Those rifles, and Dutch weapons in general, aren't at all common in this country since there were few GI bringbacks (Holland was neutral in WWI and an ally in WWII, so it would not have been legal for GIs to bring back Dutch guns even if they obtained them); further, Holland never sold any large numbers of rifles off as surplus. Because that carbine is unusual, I would WAG a value at $350 or so, but will be happy to be corrected by anyone with better knowledge.

Jim

#17 · (Edited)
It is indeed an M.95 Mannlicher carbine. Should be a #1 or #3.
With the side-mounted sling it should be a Cavalry or motorized infantry variant too. BUT...it only has the front side sling swivel. The rear swivel should be side mounted on a cavalry carbine.
That kinda goes along with the mismatched serial numbers. I'd venture a guess that it's an arsenal rework or an amended model

That piece of wood on the left side of the magazine is normal on the cavalry, artillery, engineer, or motorized infantry carbine variants of the New Model...but it's not always present. It is to keep the magazine from digging into the soldier's back when slung.
It is a separate piece of wood from the stock which is why it look like it's been added on, but the stock is shaped for that piece as compared to the stocks that don't have the mag guard.

This site shows several of the variants. You'll need to do some online translation though since it's in Dutch.
http://www.collectie.legermuseum.nl/strategion/strategion/i004797.html

#19 · (Edited)
It is a Dutch Artillery Carbine, made by Hembrug Artillerie - Inrichten (the Dutch state arsenal) in 1918. I don't know the reason for the wood covering the magazine, but it might have been because those carbines were carried across the back while the artilleryman was serving the gun, and the wood prevented the magazine from chafing his back.

For a small country, the Dutch made/adopted an amazing variety of carbines, at least 12, plus other models for the KNIL (Koninlijk Nederlands Indisch Leger - Royal Dutch Indies Army). All were based on the Model 1895 Mannlicher and fired the 6.5x53R cartridge also used by Rumania. Loading was by the typical Mannlicher en-bloc clip which entered the magazine and remained until empty at which point it dropped out the bottom.

Jim
Jim is correct; I own one just like it.

Hembrug is a Netherlands State arsenal and the picture illustrates Holland's Karabijn M1895. The "W" cipher on the butt stock was that of Queen Wilhelmina. The design was Mannlicher's, which is immediately evident given the bolt release among other things. Caliber is normally 6.5mm but a few were re-barrelled to 7.92mm.

Ammo (6.5X53R Dutch) and clips are available; I purchased both from Old Western Scrounger Inc, which I believe has been purchased by someone else but still is in business. Like most military long guns of the era, you will find that this gun tends to shoot high.

The $350 value would have been right in the ball park pre-Obama. I believe they may be worth a little more today; perhaps as much as $450

p.s. I am looking for a bayonet for mine. If anyone knows where one can be had, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.