Henrey .22 lever action

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

shane
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/1/01 12:47:48 am)
    Reply Henrey .22 lever action
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do any of you have experience with one of these? I've never shot one but like the look and feel of it.

I have several marlin .22's some bolt action & some auto loading but no lever gun. My father-in-law has a marlin model 39 lever action that he put up for my oldest son. I want a lever .22 to put up for my youngest son but would like to make his a Henery if they are any good, just so the boys will have somthing different.

Any input is welcome.

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/1/01 7:54:07 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Henrey .22 lever action
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    They are not bad, especially for the money. Will be a nice, serviceable rifle.

That said, they are nowhere close to being in the same league as the Marlin 39 or Winchester 9422 Legacy. Both of which are much more expensive.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

warpig883
    (12/1/01 11:17:05 am)
    Reply Re: Henrey .22 lever action
    They are a preety good gun for a shooter but not really a collector. I like them for coon hunting cause they are going to get beat up. The Henry pump is also a good gun. The Marlin or Browning lever .22's are my favorites with my Marlin being a little more accurate that my Browning. (I can't believe I said that I hope JB and Reedbuster forgive me)
    Trust and forgive

shane
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/1/01 10:52:06 pm)
    Thanks for the info.

I have several collector guns put up for my boys. I am wanting this one to be a shooter when little shane gets big enough for it. I think I may get this one.

AGunguy
    (12/5/01 7:50:17 pm)
    I sure like the one in brass, handsome rifle...sad to hear they ain't as accurate as a Marlin. Wonder what's the problem with that?

GG

warpig883
    (12/5/01 9:21:48 pm)
    The overall quality is not as good as the Marlin is my opinion.
    Know what?

LIKTOSHOOT
    (12/5/01 9:36:43 pm)
    Get a Taurus pump gun in .22...very slick fer da bucks...
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

shane
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/6/01 11:45:41 pm)
    Yes the Taurus is nice but I like lever guns better. I don't know why but they just seem to fit me better.

Warpig I also can't see how the Henery being modeled after the Marlin would be all that much less accurate. Go figure?!?!
    I guess quality of the steel used in making the barrels could have somthing to do with it. What do you guys think????

Xracer
    (12/7/01 10:03:33 am)
    I'm not that familiar with the Henry, but generally speaking, I'd suspect that the Marlin has a tighter, better fitting action, better trigger, and better rifling.

Does anybody know if the model 39 has Marlin's micro-groove rifling?

shane
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/8/01 12:43:52 am)
    Xracer, the model 39 mariln that I looked at today had micro-groove stamped on the barrel. The nut at the gun shop that I was in was asking $325 for it "used" I didn't think it was worth it.

Xracer
    (12/8/01 10:14:46 am)
    Well, I'm not up on gun values, so I can't comment on the price....but seems like a lot of $$$$. I've shot a bunch of 39s, and man, it's a sweet piece.
  2. Johnny Blackhawk

Johnny Blackhawk New Member

I
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  3. Johnny Blackhawk

Johnny Blackhawk New Member

I own a Henry Golden Boy .22LR bought it new. I have used only one kind of ammo to "break it in" more correctly know as wear in period. This is where the rough edges are worn off some time between 500-1000 rounds. My trigger and lever action are silky smooth....looks great and shoots through some of its own holes with a bench rest at 50 yards. Killed a Coyote with the 40 grain Velocitor at 50 yards (Head Shot). Killed a Bobcat at 60 feet with a 40 grain Velocitor. Yes the pattern here is I use only one kind of ammo, which my rifle gas seals too. The most accurate ammo I have ever shot for .22's. Velocitor Rule!
  4. busdriver72

busdriver72 New Member

I presently use the Henry Golden Boy .22LR in shiloutte shooting. Very fine rifle. They cost a bit more, but you are getting quality.

(And when you take it out of the case, all the girls gather around and go "Oooooo, pretty gun!) You can strut your stuff in style!!!
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  5. raveneap

raveneap New Member

I bought a Henry Goldenboy .22LR several years ago. It is without question the smoothest lever action I've ever fired.
  6. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I LOVE my Goldenboy & have loved shooting several thousand rounds thru it. It's My family's favorite .22 rifle & we have a few different ones.

I'd never own a Marlin 39-ugliest levergun ever made:D
  7. saddletramp46

saddletramp46 New Member

My reading and experience have led me to believe the Marlin is slightly more accurate than the others because it has the "microgroove" barrel. But the difference is very slight. I have heard of people switching brands of ammo until they find what is most accurate for their Henry and it will shoot as accurately as the average Marlin so don't be put off by that. I have handled about every make there is and I have to say the action on the Henry is silky smooth. Never a problem loading or ejecting shells. Mine at 100 feet using the factory sights and my aging eyes will hold a shot group of about 1 inch to 1.25 inch and it has only had about 100 rounds through it so far. I do not intend to put a scope on it because it is the brass receiver model called golden boy. The action is far smoother than any other lever action I have fired. And in time it might be a collectors item. If you find a good deal on a used Henry .22 in any model I don't know how you could go wrong.
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i have owned 3 henry's, one was a goldenboy, and it was a good gun, was accurate as well. the other 2 i owned was a standard lever gun, and also a large loop carbine... both of them left accuracy to be desired for me. the zero would change as the gun got warm, although they were fun and accurate (enough) they were by no means target guns. if'n you're dead set on a lever gun, get a marlin. the price is more but the resale value is substantually more and they will last forever. the henry is all cast and stamped and isnt going to last a lifetime if it is shot as most 22's are.
    ~john
  9. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 New Member

I won a Golden Boy last year and was heartbroken when I got it home and discovered I couldn't scope it out of the box. So, I went out and bought a hex barrel model with grooved receiver, scoped it and have been shooting silver dollar sized patterns at 50 yards from benchrest since. Without question, there are great lever action .22LRs out there but I'm happy as can be with my Henry. It works smoothly and flawlessly, shoots great and didn't cost a lot. When my grandchildren are old enough, we'll all shoot the heirloom Winchesters (61 and 63s) but probably have as much as, maybe even more, with the Henrys.
  10. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest