Henry 22 question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jestor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. jestor

jestor New Member

I've got a Henry 22 rifle great gun accurate and fun to shoot. My question is if you don't keep up with how many rounds you shoot through it you end up dry firing it after your last round has been fired. Is this hurting something on this rifle.
  2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

It is never a good idea to dry fire any gun chambered for a rimfire round.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

it wont hurt it if you dont do it all the time. after you get a good feel for the gun you would probably be able to tell a differance in closing the lever by feel and sound. i know i could in the henry i had. the firing pin on a henry lever doenst contact the chamber, it has a flat area on the firing pin face that will contact the barrel face before the firing pin causes damage to the chamber.
  4. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Not wanting to start an arguement, I'd suggest calling Henry.:D
  5. 9 fingers

9 fingers New Member

Someone had a good idea about loading a subsonic round as your last so that it was clear you had reached the end of the load.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Of course the issue is the firing pin hitting the barrel when a round is not there to absorb the hit. Repeated hits by the firing pin to the end of the barrel can peen the edge of the chamber into the chamber. That can result in failures to feed and failures to fire as the rim of the case is no longer fully supported in that area. Some of the energy required to collapse the rim will be used up bending the rim down into the cavity there and not enough energy will remain to set off the priming compound. Its easy to determine how important it is to not allow the firing pin to hit the end of the barrel when the chamber is empty.

With the chamber area open, use a punch or probe to totally press the firing pin to its internal stop. Lay a small flat piece across the end of the bolt that hits the end of the barrel. If the firing pin protrudes beyond that surface it can and will hit the end of the barrel when no round is present in the chamber. The end of the firing pin should be a couple of thousandths of an inch below hitting the barrel end. If it is protruding beyond that surface then you must count shots and not pull the trigger after the last round is shot.

LDBennett
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I agree with Bob. As Henry.

Most 22s, especially inexpensive 22s, can be damaged by dry firing. Ruger, however, says you can dry fire any of their 22s forever and ever, with no damage.