Henry 22LR Lever Action.... Best 22 Rifle EVER!!!!!

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Brad - Stevens 311, May 25, 2012.

1. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I loved my Browning short throw. Never fired a Henry. I want to get a 30-30.
  2. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

Nice henry i want one too. I have a new savage 17hmr i got for fathers day last year but haven't shot it yet. They did say the 17hmr bore gets dirty quicker.
  3. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I have a Goldenboy 22LR that I haven't shot in a while. This thread has changed that. It now must head out to the range later today. I love my Henry!
  4. NY Marksman

NY Marksman New Member

5. scotgiant

scotgiant New Member

I've looked and drooled over this lever action but wondered how it would compare to my 1954 Marlin 39A. Has anyone out there shot both?
  6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I had a Marlin 39A made in 1960. I'd love to have it back but I wouldn't give up my Golden Boy for it. The Henry has a smoother action, they're about equal as far as accuracy.
  7. azimuth

azimuth New Member

Coincidentally, I do have a '54 model 39A and a couple of Henry's. While the Marlin is a fine rifle and built like a tank, the Henry is plenty durable as long as it is given the care that most any firearm requires. Henry doesn't give up anything in the accuracy department when compared to other lever rimfires. Their rifles are usually shipped with nice looking walnut stocks and actions that are smooth as butter.

In regard to the Marlin, the Henry's finish on the receiver cover may not hold up as well as the blued steel on the Marlin. Also, the front sight on the basic Henry is pretty coarse for target shooting, but fine for plinking. The octagon barreled Henry's have sights very similar to the Marlin. The Henry is also considerably lighter than the Marlin. Some folks like that, some folks don't.
    Here's my H001 and the '54 Marlin...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

purdy good luck with it I'll be over to try it out
  9. pmwizard

pmwizard New Member

Great lever rifles. For me, it is the most fun to shoot and sldo accurate. Congrats and enjoy.
  10. bamajoey

bamajoey Active Member

I bought a Henry several years ago and have been pleased with the quality. What I have really been pleased with was the customer service I received when I had a minor problem with mine.:thumbsup:
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  11. Brad - Stevens 311

Brad - Stevens 311 New Member

Thanks guys for the comments! Im glad everyone else has good luck with them! It's nice to be able to buy a quality rifle for an affordable price that will last a long time. Thanks everyone! - Brad
  12. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

We had an older Marlin 39M (Golden Mountie) in the family from the time I was 10 or so. Hands down the most accurate rifle of any kind I've ever fired. My brother has it still. But then Marlins went on to become incredibly expensive, and then later quality issues began to arise. The last two Marlin rifles purchased by a family member had substantial problems.

I think a Henry LA .22 may be just the ticket.
  13. scotgiant

scotgiant New Member

Well, you've convinced me. I'll have to get a Henry.
  14. vaskeet

vaskeet New Member

I realy want a henry but I normaly end up getting something else Randy
  15. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I shot my brother-in-laws a bunch back in the 50's, but I liked my Win 62A .22 pump better. I got a Henry H001T a few years ago. I saw it at a gun show and after looking at the wood, and wondering around for an hour or so, it was still waiting for me and followed me home. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had to buy my daughter one for Christmas so she would leave mine alone.:)
    [​IMG]

They really are a nice rifle for the money, and made in the USA to boot. I still like by Win 62A, and my Browning ATD, and then the Henry is on top of the pile. Fun to shoot, squirrel accurate, what more can you ask for. Well, maybe free ammo to keep it making noise. :rolleyes :;)
  16. moigy

moigy New Member

I love everything about .17 HMR except the price of ammo.
  17. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Congrats on your Henry Brad, nice!
    I have the standard model and love it. And accuracy....very accurate.
  18. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

Congratulations, .22 lever action is my favorite gun for rabbit hunting and they shoot shorts, longs and long rifles.
  19. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

Living in Burnsville, MN, a Transplant from Los An
    I'm happy for you Brad. There's nothing like the pleasure one gets when he get a gun he really loves.

It puts a smile on my face.

Rocky :)
  20. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

Living in Burnsville, MN, a Transplant from Los An
    I've wanted a Henry, myself, but as much as I want that rifle, I don't feel it would give me the same thill, that I get from shooting my Thompson Contender with a 14" barrel and a 22 mag round. As the saying goes...one shot, one kill. However, I only shot targets now.

I did just buy a Stoeger 12g Couch Shotgun. I've never fired a shotgun, so this will be some new to me. Still researching best ammo, and I'd like a little gunsmithing done on it first.

Rocky